Question

Automatic Avalability Check when releasing shop order

Badge +2

Hi, we are trying to investigate what kind of information the “automatic availability check” function is generating and where it can be seen? 

I usually check the availability on a shop order with the function “run availability check” and if there is an availability problem this is shown in my “planning alert” question on my start page.

Now when we are trying the automatic availability check when releasing a shop order that we know will not have the material on planned start date, why is this not shown in the planning alerts?

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Fillson,

Are you entering the date in Pick Plan Date while you run availability check. If you have entered any date then this date will be treated as material required date while checking availability and this impact planning alert generation.

Apart from this one more reason might be when you release a shop order a background job will be triggered to perform the availability check and generate the planning alerts and there might be delay in the execution of background job but this process will be online when you perform run availability check. So the planning alerts for the shop orders should be available once the background job is executed.

Else, you test once again with the below step

1. Release the shop order with availability check enabled
  2. Go to background job and search for the job with description ‘Check Onhand Analysis Shop Material Allocation’
  3. Execute the background job if its still Posted
  4. Check the planning alert screen

btw, I have tested this in APP 10 and it working for me.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Mithun K V

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Make sure this setting is Selected, selecting Yes will also work.

Also make sure the specific Component Inventory Part is having “Availability Check” selected.

Release the Shop Order “Make sure the “Automatic Availability Check” Option is selected.

Wait until the Background Job for the Order and the Component Part Line is completed.

You can see the Planning Alerts against the Shop Order number.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Filip,

There is actually a difference under the hood. When you run the “run availability check” from the client through the RMB command this logic does not care about the value of Availability Check value Dameenda is highlighting in one of the screen shots above. So there is a difference in number of components processed usually. (Unless you haven’t turned on availability check on all your components - which might not be so good from a performance perspective)

Anyway I really suggest that you continue to select a bunch of planned shop orders from the Shop Orders overview screen. Lets say this week and next week planned production. Then select these lines and run the command. System will perform an availability check for each shop order component line order by component required date. It will do this in a robust way. So run this job for a set of planned orders - check the Planning Alerts - resolve problems - and then release a set of shop orders… Just a suggestion

Cheers,

Mats

Badge +2

Hi Mats,

Thank you for the feedback. So if I understand you correctly, you think that we shall continue with the command “run availability check” for each planned shop order? 

Also, we have noticed that “expected lead time” can be a big issue and give misleading information about the components availability if not updated properly. Any suggestions on how to deal with that?

/ Filip

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hejsan Filip,

Well I (and I don’t own the truth) think it is good practice to run this availability check for a set of Planned Shop Orders. And then check result carefully. And then act upon the result and perhaps run the same set of orders again. And then start releasing your orders according some priority list.

Yeah, I also would like have a good and robust way of establishing expected lead time. Now it is so easy to overwrite expected lead time from lead time calculations, and you will get the same as the manufactured lead time, or purchase lead time.

Badge +2

Well noted,

Thank you Mats!