Solved

Work Task WIP handling when error not identified at year end

• 31 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

We have situations where reported faults may need quite some investigations before the origin of the error is identified. In such cases we wish to be able to enter an intermediate pre-posting against the work tasks which will be updated once the true cause is identified.

In the normal case this is not an issue, but at year end we will want these intermediate work task cost postings to be posted to the balance sheet. Is there any way we can do that to just selected work tasks or is there a clever way to do it? 

We do not want all our work task postings registered as WIP.

@Thommy : Would you have any input on this?

icon

Best answer by Thommy 1 November 2022, 16:19

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

I have thought about this a bit and I don’t really see any good way to achieve this, other then actually finishing of the work task at the end of the year and creating a new one for upcoming year.

If you don’t finish it off and then alter the pre-posting, you will get the postings reposted (as you know).

I thought of perhaps using the Work Task Cost Code Rule, but I could see that we had a parameter in there that would make sense to use for just these types of work tasks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Thanks for your prompt reply Tommy!

When I started investigating this option I assumed you could connnect the WIP Cost Code to the Work Orders or Work Tasks that you wish to post to WIP but after a number of efforts I had to accept that there is no such option.

If I would enter something like that as an idea - how do you think IFS would handle that?
Would they accept developing it at all?
And, if accepted, when would you think such a solution could be in place?

Sincerely

Jonas Jäthing

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

You got me thinking a bit more on this.

We have the Overriding Cost Code function that you could use for this on the Work Task level.

However that would force you to have a setup in Work Task Cost Code Rules defining when the WIP should be reversed.

Perhaps with this setup you might be able to achive what you want.

Normally the costs on work tasks will get the COST2 cost code (since you haven’t defined any specifc parameters like Customer etc) and since COST2 has evaluation order 1.

But you could override the cost code on a work task and set the cost code to WIP and when reaching the WIP reversal condition costs on this work task would get the cost code COST in my example.

All three cost codes needs to be set up in Posting Control.

With this setup you would be able to manually set the WIP cost code on the work task that you want to handle with WIP, all others falls back to normal (COST2) handling.

Haven’t tested this out, but it might be worth a try to see if this will give you are after.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Thanks for the update Thommy.

I tried the process and realized that only new transactions got posted to WIP, not the older transactions. My customer does not want all work order costs transferred to WIP so we abandoned the idea. On afterthought they had realized they prefer the reversal transactions in the new year for the few orders where they update the preposting after the new year.

Thanks for all your support @Thommy

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

No problem, good to hear that the flow was ok for the customer.