Question

How to connect to PSO via Power BI and extract Fact and Dimension Tables of Scheduling Data for Reporting

• 23 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi Experts,

Need your valuable inputs on how to connect to PSO via Power BI and extract Fact and Dimension Tables of Scheduling Data for Reporting?

Regards,

Jayadev

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

You basically have 4 options:

1. Let PSO create snapshots and use the Archive database with your preferred BI tool (look for Archive and Snapshot in the documentation). Note that the archive only includes actual travel (not planned) and shifts with allocations (empty shifts won’t be available).
  2. Ad-hoc solution: Save your schedule in the workbench and export as XML. Use with your BI tool. Benefit compared to #1 is that this does include planned travel and empty shifts. I can send you a sample Power BI report if needed.
  3. Use the PSO REST API to retrieve the data from a broadcast directly.
  4. Use the new Reporting API that came with PSO 6.12, note that it has the same limitations as #1.

Your choice depends on whether this is a one-off (where manual is okay) or if you want to constantly refresh the data (where you need the API or the Archive). Broadcast and API/Archive DB currently hold slightly different data, so the question is what kind of report you try to build.

Badge +2

Thank you, Alex. https://community.ifs.com/members/alexander-heinze-8932

As per option 4(Use the new Reporting API that came with PSO 6.12) - Need to know what are the configuration set up to be done in PSO and Power BI so that Power Bi can fetch data from PSO Reporting Tables? Where can I get its details? I couldn’t find any specific information on this even in Interface guide.

Please help. 

Regards,

Jayadev

Badge +2

Hello Experts,

As per option 4(Use the new Reporting API that came with PSO 6.12) - Need to know what are the configuration set up to be done in PSO and Power BI so that Power Bi can fetch data from PSO Reporting Tables? Where can I get its details? I couldn’t find any specific information on this even in Interface guide.

Please help by providing your valuable comments. 

Regards,

Jayadev

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

While PowerBI is not an IFS product, there’s some information for example in
https://blog.coupler.io/power-bi-rest-api/#Is_it_possible_to_connect_REST_API_to_Power_BI

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Thank you, Alex. https://community.ifs.com/members/alexander-heinze-8932

Please help. 

Regards,

Jayadev

Check out the Interface Guide>Reporting OData Endpoints. Continuous reporting should be activated by default. Depending on the external system’s authentication options, you may need to enable Basic Authentication in PSO, see Release Enhancements documentation.