Question

Detailed contribution margin in the case of drop shipping

• 8 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi folks,

we created the last 3 years a very detailed logic for the contribution margin.
Therefore we fetch Shipments, ShipmentLines, ITH records with detailed costs for manufacturing, purchase, subcontrating, etc, etc.
We combine that in a FACT_CustomerOrderLine and have 3 different contribution margins calculated.

Now we have a “new case”.
Drop shipping: The product goes directly from the supplier to our customer.
We have a customer order. We have an ITH record with TRANSACTION_CODE PODIRSH.

By the way: What does that mean?

Now: I can not find any Shipments to this customer order and guess for drop shipping you don’t have to create a “normal” shipping.

My questions are:
Is it possible to create a (pseudo) shipment even in this special case?
What kind of shipping you recommend?
Any other ideas?

Does anyone here came across drop shipping before?

Thanks in advance!

All the best

Michael

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Michael Kaiser normally drop shipping scenario is frequently used for inter-co transactions. Let’s say you have a sales office that’s in IFS and also a factory that’s also running IFS. Customer Orders will be registered in the Sales Office company and manufacturing / logistics will be taken care by the factory.

In that case the following flow will be applicable

1. CO in the sales office is released,
  2. PO is created automatically sales office
  3. Internal CO created automatically in the factory.
  4. the factory will release the internal CO and start manufacturing or even deliver from stock
  5. Factory creates the delivery note and ships the product to the end customer
  6.  Dispatch advice is sent to Sales Office + PODIRSH transaction → CO in sales office moves to Delivered → could be invoiced
  7. Factory sends the interco invoice to the sales office → via IFS Connect / EDI
  8. Sales Office invoices the end customer

Whenever there’s a Sales Part with Sourcing Option - Primary Supplier Direct, the above flow will happen (provided that the primary supplier is also an internal supplier)

For your ETL to work properly I would suggest to look into the EXT_DISPATCH_ADVICE view.

Also, below you may see some more details on the PODIRSH business event:

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Marcel,

thank you for that quick and valuable answer!
What if the supplier is not “internal” but a “normal” or “external” suplier?

No IFS there!
We have CO and PO but I can not find any shipments on our side.

Thank you for more ideas.

CU

Michael

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Michael Kaiser if the supplier is external, then after the PO is created, the PO Lines are available in Register Direct Delivery screen → users need to manually declare that the goods have been shipped to the end customer directly by supplier (PO will be closed and CO will be Delivered → could be invoiced).

For more details you may wanna check below link:

Direct Delivery (ifs.com)

Here’s the screen where the Direct Delivery will be registered (PODIRSH tx will happen).