Question

Symbol storage for Labels

• 1 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hi

We are potentially looking at creating labels from software called Zebra designer, which integrates with IFS APPS8. Zebra Designer creates an .RPL file which is stored within IFS. When the option of the label is selected to print it will pull most of the information onto the label from IFS where 80% of the label information will stored here such as;

1. Part Numbers and Descriptions from “Master Part”
  1. Lot Numbers from “Shop Order”

On the label we will also have symbols such as CLP symbols i.e. Hazard warning symbols, CE Mark symbols and Temperature symbols and we are not aware of any screen that this can be stored in. Can anybody shed some light on this and where this can be stored within IFS and what screen so when the label is printed it also pulls the symbols?

The content of the label in terms of symbols will be part dependant, so this will vary from Part to Part.

Many thanks

Ravi

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

You should be able to store the image files within DocMan and then retrieve them from there by reference to the attachment.  Embedding them within the RPL file would of course be the trick, but if you can do it from a network location or drive, I would think it possible to retrieve the document from DocMan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Ravs88,

I'm not familiar with how to solve it, but I would go for something like the following:

1. prepare the possible symbols on the Zebra printer
  2. Program the printer to print a symbol based upon a code coming in. Use and if else statement for this (see: https://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra/manuals/printers/common/programming/zpl-zbi2-pm-en.pdf on page 467).
  3. Prepare a multi select custom field at master part level. When the printing is done the file should contain the custom field values (I'm not sure how this is accomplished). Based upon these codes, it could print the symbols.

Not easy to perform all this. A Zebra programmer might turn out handy. And you have to experiment on how to get the custom field in the output (standard reports automatically insert the available custom fields from used LUs, but the source might not look to part master data)

Regards,

Steve