Question

SSL communication between DB and MWS

• 3 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi,

In IFS APPs 10, the communication between the DB and MWS is not encrypted. The encrypted traffic only for the communication between MWS and end users through a SSL certificate. Please confirm.

Thank you.

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @PlaSandaM,

You can refer below F1 Documentation and I believe what you are looking is there. 

https://wit.ifsworld.com/f1docs/apps10upd7/foundation1/020_installation/020_installing_fresh_system/010_planning_installation/020_security_considerations/030_oracle_ssl/

Thank You,

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Thank you Chamath. In simple terms, the communication between the DB and MWS is encrypted right?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @PlaSandaM,

APPS10 UPD4 or older versions/APPS MWS → DB communication was done by PLSQL Access Provider. So for that we can put SSL as mentioned in above informed link. But if you are looking for later version I cannot guarantee that because latest versions use “JMS/AQ (Oracle Advance Queue)” for communications between MWS→ DB.

Thank You,

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Thank you Chamath. So we don’t know that the traffic between the DB and MWS is encrypted or not after UPD4?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @PlaSandaM,

APPS10 UPD4 or older versions/APPS MWS → DB communication was done by PLSQL Access Provider.

I can only speak from my experience with Apps 9.

The PL/SQL Access Provider reaches upward, from the database to the application, to make web service calls originating from the database code. This gets encrypted via HTTPS if the application is set up that way. An Oracle wallet will need to be properly set up on the database so the database can trust the application.

The usual method of communication is talking downward, from the application to the database, via Oracle SQL*Net. Oracle supports encryption over this protocol, but I’ve never done this. I do know it’s configured in SQLNET.ORA.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Durette, Thank you very much for your response.