Solved

Should IFS MWS layer be starting automatically after server reboot (Windows)?

• 13 September 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hello,

We have been struggling with maintaining our IFS APP servers (Windows, APPS10). We have developed a list of procedures to gracefully shutdown all IFS services (using mws-svr.cmd), verify all Java processes are stopped, apply Windows updates, then reboot the server.

After waiting for up to 30 minutes after reboot, none of the node manager services are running on the rebooted server. My memory may be failing me, but I am almost certain that the IFS MWS services used to start up automatically after reboot, and the Windows Services related to IFS MWS (which we have been told never to manipulate via the Windows Service console) do not start up even though they are configured to start “Automatically”.

The basic question, then, is: Are the IFS MWS services supposed to start on their own after a reboot, or should we anticipate always needing to start them manually? If manual operation is expected, why? IFS should be be running with a high--availability paradigm in place. As I said, I am all but certain IFS used to start up on its own in the past (albeit, several Updates ago...).

Can anyone advise on what sort of behavior we should be seeing, and if we are not seeing what should be expected, what log or configuration files can we check to figure out what is going on?

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

icon

Best answer by Kasun Balasooriya 13 September 2021, 16:40

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Joe,

If the windows service is set to automatic, it will run start the windows service automatically

after a re-boot. However, whether the MWS services will be attempted to start will depend on 

the how they were terminated before the re-boot. If the shutdown was graceful, ie. the server

components were shut down orderly before the re-boot, the windows service will not attempt to

start the MWS severs and the associated components. 

However, if the server components were shut-down abruptly ie. without shutting down the server

components in order using the mws-svr.cmd, the windows service will attempt to start the servers

and the components based on their last state. 

To answer “Why” in the question raised, a graceful shutdown of weblogic server components implies

that the server components have been shut down by an administrator and hence weblogic will not try to bring them back to running state until the administrator chooses to do so. 

However, a successful server startup can not be guaranteed following an abrupt shutdown and hence, it is always a good practice to gracefully shutdown the server components using the mws-svr.cmd and perform the re-boot. 

Hope this helps! 

Thanks,

Kasun

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Kasun, that helps immensely! Thanks for the great explanation (and confirmation). I will let our admin staff know!

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman