Question

Sender name in system generated emails

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

As of now, the system generated emails (eg: emails via Custom Events - Email action) have sender name as ‘IFS9PROD’ or ‘IFS9TEST’.

We are on App9.

The email address of the sender is what we have put in MAIL_SENDER1 (in IFS Connect).

Email address is fine for us, but we would like to have the sender name something else.

Do you know where we can change this?

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @OMRRAJIKA,

Locate the respective event action, and from the tab ‘GENERAL’ you can get the USER_ID value.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Bhagya

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Bhagya Wickramasinghe - Thank you!

you mean add USER_ID to ‘From User’ field?

I have tried this, but then the user’s email address will be displayed as the sender name. Only displays the email address, no specific name.

We don’t want that.

We need a ‘general’ email address and a ‘general’ sender name.

Regards,

Rajika.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @OMRRAJIKA,

I checked in the latest released environment and noticed that there is an issue.

It fetches the event id, as the name of the “From User”. Eventhough  the FROM USER value is defined it’s not taken. This could be a bug in the system. Hence can you please report the issue to IFS?

Hope this helps!

BR,
Bhagya​​​​​​​

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

Name of the sender is from the actual mail address’s name. If you search for the ‘FROM’ email address in your mail client (outlook) do you get any name in this column?

If not here’s the usage of the FROM address/ name from the documentation

Usage of DEFAULT_MAIL_SENDER and OVERRIDE_MAIL_SENDER parameters

The From field is normally on form "Name <local-part@domain>". How the two parts of the From field, i.e. the 'name' part and the 'mail address' part are combined depends on the following:

• If the flag OVERRIDE_MAIL_SENDER is not set and sender specification on the incoming message represents a valid mail address, i.e. contains the @ character, then it will be used as the From field.
  • If the flag OVERRIDE_MAIL_SENDER is not set, sender specification is not a valid mail address (it is just a name) and DEFAULT_MAIL_SENDER is on form "local-part@domain", then the 'name' part of the From field will be taken from the sender specification and the 'mail address' part from DEFAULT_MAIL_SENDER
  • If the flag OVERRIDE_MAIL_SENDER is not set, sender specification is not a valid mail address, but DEFAULT_MAIL_SENDER is on form "Name <local-part@domain>", then only DEFAULT_MAIL_SENDER will be used (sender specification will be ignored).
  • If the flag OVERRIDE_MAIL_SENDER is set and DEFAULT_MAIL_SENDER is on form "Name <local-part@domain>" than it will be used.
  • If the flag OVERRIDE_MAIL_SENDER is set and DEFAULT_MAIL_SENDER is on form "local-part@domain" than DEFAULT_MAIL_SENDER will be used as 'mail address' part and Mail Sender name (i.e. instance name) as the 'name' part.

Note: In a Mail Event Action flow the sender specification on the incoming message is set to the 'From User' if it is set . If not the logged in user will be set to the sender specification on the incoming message

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @Ruchira  - Thank you!

I think this information I was looking for, but I cannot find where the OVERRIDE_MAIL_SENDER setting is. Can you please let me know?

We are on App9. Is this available in App9?

Also, what is this documentation? Can you send path for the documentation?

Regards,

Rajika.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @Ruchira  - Thank you!

I think this information I was looking for, but I cannot find where the OVERRIDE_MAIL_SENDER setting is. Can you please let me know?

We are on App9. Is this available in App9?

Also, what is this documentation? Can you send path for the documentation?

Regards,

Rajika.

unfortunately I was referring Apps10 documentation and OVERRIDE_MAIL_SENDER is only available in the mail sender configurations in Apps10. But if you change the default_mail_sender from the same window to something else do you see that as FROM name ?

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Thank you @Ruchira !

I tried adding Name <local-part@domain> format in DEFAULT_MAIL_SENDER but it didn’t work.

As I see, if the sender name is not set, then the code fetches the database property ‘name’ using Database_Sys.Get_Database_Name. What we see today in emails are actually this value. It is in sys.v_$database.

So, my next question is - can we change this value in existing databases and what are consequences of changing that value?

Do you have any inputs?

Regards,

Rajika.