Question

RECURSIVE CPU - 94%?

• 5 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Apps 10 - UPD14.

Hi All,

Quick question, our Test instance is quite slow even though the Db (20gb SGA / PGA) and host machine (ODA Server) is adequately sized for the number of sessions / users - at any one time, there are only around 15 users using it.

One thing that I have noticed is in the IFS System Monitoring console, the Recursive CPU is constantly at 94% - ‘Parse’ CPU never gets above 1% and ‘Others’ again never goes over 6%..

Any idea why the ‘Recursive CPU’ is so high any SQL I can run to check to see why? 

Thanks in advance

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@JamesW72 

We recently noticed a docman query causing cpu usage to spike up 100% when multiple users using the system. Please take a AWR report or any similar report during that time which should show the bottlenecks.

Mean time I found this post might be helpful for you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

We have run a AWR / etc and there is nothing obvious that is causing this… What does it mean ‘Recursive CPU’ anyway?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

The oracle recursive CPU indicates everything which oracle databases are doing in the background to make everything work.

Which means: the database is doing something inside to work properly.

E.g. Adding a row into a table needs to have some further storage allocated, then the database is managing this internally. In this case, this is displayed as recursive CPU.

What I found as a statement, no longer sure where I found it:

The recursive CPU displays that the database is working fine. The higher the recursive CPU, the lesser User specific actions are done and the database is doing management tasks inside.

From an IFS perspecitve you do not have to worry about that value when it is high. This does not mean you are reaching any limit of the oracle database server.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,

Tobias