Question

Quick Reports as REST Datasource Disappearing

• 18 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hello Everyone,

As I understand, the only way to be able to get a view like REST endpoint is creating a Quick Report .  This can then be called through the QuickReports.svc endpoint.  

This has been working for us but sporadically the quick reports will disappear from the API Explorer Function list.  I usually employ the highly intelligent solution of randomly clicking buttons, documenting what I do, to try to get them to show back up in the list.  My first attempt is to always Refresh the Dictionary and Report Server Cache.  Unfortunately, as expected, I don’t have any real solid evidence as to what gets them back in the  list.  

Maybe this may help someone but this is the error that is returned when a QuckReport is not accesible:

RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND Message: Cannot find EntitySet, Singleton, ActionImport or FunctionImport with name 'QuickReport_147084’

These Quick Reports haven’t changed in a long time.  Does anyone else have this type of experience with them? Does anyone know how they get in the API Explorer Function in the first place?  

Thanks,

Derek Hansen

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Exactly the same problem here. Some quick reports show up and create results, others are not accessible with the error you mentioned. No idea where to look further. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hello @ReinierHulsman,

My best advice for this would be to make sure that you can run the quick report yourself through IFS with no errors first.  

I had two quick reports that had this issue.  I found out that a view that we had created, that I was utilizing in the quick report, had been changed without me knowing.  Something that I was using was removed.  So that invalidated the quick report causing it to no longer show up in that list.  

So my suspicion would be that if a report is not showing up in the QuickReports.svc service that it is no longer a valid working quick report.  I have not had the issue since figuring that out.

I hope that is your issue as it took me quite a while before I finally figured this out.  Best of luck!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thanks, @hansend, but this is a brand new quickreport which I tested before. online and gives correct results. A simple SQL query like “select PART_NO from IFSAPP.INVENTORY_PART” isn't that complex, but does not appear in the Quickreports.svc and - via Postman- gives the mentioned error. 

So the issue remains open for us. I raised a ticket at IFS, hope they will respond soon.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @hansend, 

@Thomas Langenberg found out that my problem easily could by resolved by peforming the following steps:

• In Aurena - API Explorer - find the Projection "QuickReports"
  • Select "Remove from Compatibility Application Type"
  • Select "Include in Compatibility Application Type"

Apparently the report-specific functions are rebuilt by Including the Projection in Compatibility Application Type. 

After this, things work fine for me. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi,

I understand that this question relates to IFS Applications 10, but in IFS Cloud (21R2 onwards) the recommended way to create/configure a data source that exposes a REST API is to use the Query Designer since it follows a no code approach and also offers better configuration management (ACP etc.).

Also a projection (API) is created per query so you will not have the challenges above where the Quick Report API changes constantly which makes it unsuitable for external integrations.

/Rifki

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Rifki Razick 

I appreciate the response and knowledge.  I’m not sure if/when our company will be going to the cloud but will try to remember that if it occurs.

Just for my curiosity, we may be going to Aurena in the next year or two.  Is there anywhere that these types of recommended ways to do things are highlighted anywhere?  

It will be a great time for us to reevaluate how we do things currently and of course some things will be brand new in using Aurena.  So it would be great to find a list or guidance on the IFS best practice to achieve a goal.  

I know there is always the help documentation, but as human nature sometimes dictates, if something is working, a better or more right solution is not always thought of to look into.  I can certainly say that if tomorrow we were going to IFS Cloud, I would have never have thought to look for a better way to configure a data source unless our current way was broken.

I know it is a fairly loaded request, but didn’t think it would work to ask.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Same issue happens here (APPS 10 cloud). the fix / workaround we found is to republish the Quick Report which resets the resource links internally. You’ll need IFS_FULL rights or Quick Reports admin rights to do that.