Question

Quick Report: How to Display the PromptWindow w/o any Parms

Userlevel 4
Badge +10
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 119 replies

We have a quick report with no parameters, but we want the Parameters window to pop up to show Comments in which we’ve documented each column on the report.

Can this be done?

How do you document your quick reports for users since there’s not other place to put user info?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @DevBob ,

Not the most elegant way to do this but you can probably include a dummy parameter to that the user gets to see the prompting window and see the comments section for user info.

Something like this would give you the prompt and would not have any impact on the eventual output.

select identity,web_user,active
from fnd_user
where 'X' in
(select 'X'
from dual where NVL('&NOTE','X') = NVl('&NOTE','X')

Cheers,

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi 

On the quick reports screen you should be able to add the Comments Field using column chooser

Regards

Lee

Wyre Solutions

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

thank you both! I can use both of these solutions.

Follow-up question- is there a way to default a parameter? That would be very useful.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi 

Not in the input screen but you could use something like this in the SQL WHERE Clause

e.g. SELECT * FROM CUSTOMER_ORDER WHERE ORDER_NO LIKE '%&ORDER_NO%'

Regards

Lee

Wyre Solutions

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Thx for our quick reply! however I would like ‘A206203’ to be defaulted for ORDER_NO when the prompt window appears.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

The only thing you could do is use the saved parameters drop down and save the settings. 

I’ve not really used the feature but I suspect it will be saved to a users profile so would need to save it against a base profile to apply to multiple users. 

Regards

Lee

Wyre Solutions

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

good idea!

however, they would still have to select it from the saved list; i want them to not have to enter anything initially.

you think it would be easy:

and NVL('&NOTE','X') = '<default value>'

or as a 3rd parameter:

and NVL('&NOTE','X','<default value>')

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi 

The only solution is going to be hard coding a value into the report SQL. 

Give this a try 

WHERE <Field> = NVL(‘<Parameter’,’ABC123’)

Hopefully this will work when the input is null it uses the ABC123 value but is flexible enough to enter an alternative if needed. I think the ‘%’ wildcard should also work.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

thx for your reply, however that didn’t prompt anything at all. I tried something similar with no luck.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi 

I’ve just tried this in our test environment and it gives the desired result. 

Displays data for BP10111 when no parameter entered and when a parameter is entered returns said record. 

SELECT * FROM CUSTOMER_ORDER WHERE ORDER_NO = nvl('&Order_no', 'BP10111')

Regards

Lee

Wyre Solutions

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

hmm, i tried that and here’s my results: