Solved

Print Customer Invoice Error ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small

• 30 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13
  • Hero (Customer)
  • 357 replies

A user has created a Credit Invoice today (Apps 9) and on trying to RMB/Print the invoice in order to move from Prelim PR state to Posted encountered the following error:

Server error messages:

5a3bfedb-4342-43bd-b335-cab0d6e25802

Ifs.Fnd.FndSystemException: Unexpected error while calling server method AccessPlsql/Invoke ---> Ifs.Fnd.FndServerFaultException: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small

Failed executing statement (ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small

ORA-06512: at line 14

I have previously come across this error when a customer or supplier name is particularly long but in this instance the customer name wasn’t that long (only 26 characters).  

Some trial and error investigation uncovered the fact that there were four email addresses listed for this customer in the Comm Method tab, similar to below.  Names have been changed but there was a total of 116 characters

maryj.smithyy@greenyellowyellowgr.com,andrew.yellowyel@a-yellowyell.com,ayellowy@prodrive.com,byellowye@prodrive.com

We deleted a couple of the email addresses and the invoice went through OK with no “string buffer too small” issue.  

Is anyone aware of a limit to the number of characters that can be entered in the “Value” field?

The tab view in Oracle seems to indicate it’s 200 - which obviously the aforementioned 116 was within.  

Any thoughts/suggestions/information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Linda

icon

Best answer by PRODQ 27 May 2021, 11:32

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi,

Is this customer order is connected to WO ?

Noted a scenario where phone number in connected Work Order has more that 20 characters give this error. You can check that by 
prepare WO, go to the “CO Information” tab and check for the customer and phone number.

And there are several patches for this error addressing several issue for app9 track.

Bug - 149567 correct the below scenario.
1. Keep the Invoice Check Box checked in the Order Tab of the Customer Window.
2. Create a Person ID on the contact Tab of the Customer Window.
3. Create a record of a "Communication Method" of an Email using Email addresses with more than 100  characters under the Tab "Person Comm Method "in the "Customer" Tab
4.  Check the "Default per Method" and "Default for Method and Address"

Bug - 140293 correct the below issue
Error printing Customer order invoice   with 36 installments 

Therefore I believe that debugging the code in Customer_Order_Ivc_Rpi is needed for this to locate the exact place for the error. In the mean time you may check whether your example falls under above mentioned scenarios

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

The given error can be raised when  the system tries to assign a value to a variable where the value is larger than the maximum value the variable can hold/store.

By looking at the given information it is not possible to say what is the exact place that the error comes. Thus, debugging is needed. 

Can you please enable the debug window , take the server invoke from there and run it on the PL SQL Developer.  Then view the program source error stack. It will give you some hints to identify the exact place.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

No, not a Works Order, the Customer Order the original invoice was created was connected to a Project.  I note though that the Bug you refer to mentions “Email addresses with more than 100 characters” which I did have in this scenario (albeit that CD invoices have been successfully emailed to these four email addresses, and therefore in excess of 100 characters, previously).  

We have a Crystal Report version of the customer order invoice so don’t use Customer_Order_Ivc_Rpi.  

Thanks, I will investigate the ‘more than 100 characters’ bug.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

“The given error can be raised when  the system tries to assign a value to a variable where the value is larger than the maximum value the variable can hold/store.” Seems obvious enough @CDILLK 

I’ll have to wait until the user has another credit note to raise against this customer as we have now found a work around by reducing the number of email addresses in the Comm Method tab.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

We have received a fix from IFS for this bug.

Fixes 146641 and 149567 refer