Overtake in Client and projections, why can't we do $SEARCH and $REPLACE?

• 8 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
  • Superhero (Partner)
  • 671 replies

Currently the soft overtakes using $SEARCH and $REPLACE is only supported in the  PLSQL, PLSVC and VIEWs files.

Modifying client/projection core logic therefore requires full overtake even though it can be done using a simple search and replace.

In my opinion, this should be available for client, projection and fragments so developers could minimize big overtakes.

Creating this as a conversation before submitting as an idea to get other developer opinion since for us, this has beginning to become a problem and we want to avoid customizations with overtakes to maintain evergreen as much as possible.

I’m glad to hear others’ opinion on this and the experience so far with cloud developments. Welcome any thoughts on how we can prevent big overtakes

Cheers!

Damith

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

For the modifications in client/projection, i always have to overtake a group, just to make a small change. According to IFS tech.doc “Overtakes should only be used when no other option exists.” but for most of the time there is no other way. 

I fully agree with Damith, search and replace in Client/projection development would be a huge improvement. Especially in cloud when customers are encouraged by IFS to upgrade to the latest version, when having modifications with a lot of overtakes, it may be a consideration for the customer not to upgrade twice a year. This undermines the evergreen promise.

Of course, equivalents of  “$SEARCH and $PREPEND” and  “$SEARCH and $APPEND” would also be very welcome in client/projections.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

For the modifications in client/projection, i always have to overtake a group, just to make a small change. According to IFS tech.doc “Overtakes should only be used when no other option exists.” but for most of the time there is no other way. 

I fully agree with Damith, search and replace in Client/projection development would be a huge improvement. Especially in cloud when customers are encouraged by IFS to upgrade to the latest version, when having modifications with a lot of overtakes, it may be a consideration for the customer not to upgrade twice a year. This undermines the evergreen promise.

Of course, equivalents of  “$SEARCH and $PREPEND” and  “$SEARCH and $APPEND” would also be very welcome in client/projections.

Thanks @Thomas Langenberg for your thoughts.

Indeed I meant all soft overtake macro instructions available in Projection and client.