Question

MS Project IFS add on error

• 14 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

For MS Project we use a four digit code for “Sub Project ID” and add .# for the Activity ID. Example Sub Project ID: 3000, Activity ID: 3000.1. When I use the MS Project IFS add on to upload the MS Project into IFS it replaces these values with something different. For example it has the Sub Project ID as 1-3-2-10 and Activity ID as 1-3-2-10-0, 1-3-2-10-1. It seems to be ignoring what why have in these fields and creating brand new numbers similar to what you see for the WBS number when the project is first created. Is there a field I am missing? When I update these numbers in IFS to the correct numbers it doesn’t work and reverts back to what IFS created. We have to create brand new activities in IFS to get the right Sub Project/Activity ID.

1 reply

Badge

Thanks for raising this issue. On the top of this one, there is also a huge limit on the number of characters. It’s only possible to upload Schedules with no more than 10 characters under the Activity ID (Text 2) column in Microsoft Project. The issue is that, that’s a WBS level 4 only… 

This can represent a challenge to some of our bigger schedules. The automatic Sub Project ID and Activity ID uses only up to 10 characters. Example: A2-2-3-1-1 is already 10 characters and it’s only a WBS level 4.  
Solution: manually remove the dashes and merge the WBS assigned numeric levels, which could take hours… 
If I understood correctly there is no IFS enhancement planned for now to fix this…