Solved

Move from Windows Oracle to Linux Oracle

• 5 March 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Is there any information to find about how to move an IFS database from Windows Oracle to a Linux Oracle database server?

icon

Best answer by Srikanth 5 March 2020, 17:56

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Mattias

I think the oldskool rule when transitioning platforms leads you to exporting the database and then importing to the new database. Don’t know if that rule of thumb has changed in the past few decades?

Will be interesting to hear if anyone has done this for IFS.

That will be good fun testing out.

Mike

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi Mattias,

Depending on your Oracle version, here are few options:

1. Use RMAN Cross Platform Migration (recommended for newer versions, 11G and above)
  2. Use Oracle Datapump Utility (recommended for newer versions)
  3. Use EXP/IMP Utilities (recommended for older versions)
Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi - I’ve worked in organisations that have done this from Oracle 11 std to 11 RAC and also from Oracle 12 Windows to Oracle OVM 12c with IFS. 

Each time we have done it we have done EXP/IMP process. it is by far the safest way and if done correctly the table/row cant can be compared in the logs to ensure an identical duplicate. 

However it does take time depending on the size of your DB!

Dave

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Assuming both Windows and Linux have the same Oracle version, RMAN is safer than Datapump as the data is not dumped into a file and then re-imported back. RMAN migration takes lot less time. 

During the IMPDP process, SYS and SYSTEM related objects will fail as they pre-exist in the empty shell instance created using DBCA.

Only downside with RMAN option is you need to be a DBA with experience using RMAN.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I have now managed to migrate database from Windows to Linux using RMAN.

But how can I change the connection string on the Middleware Server? Do I have to install a new MWS or can I change some configuration files and then run the reconfigure?

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Nicely done!

Regarding the connection string on the Middleware Server, do you mean updating your existing IFS Applications to point to the new Linux (DB) Server?

The cleanest and safe option is to Delete existing IFS Applications instance and recreating it using Create New option with the new DB Server details.

Please test this process out in a non-production environment first.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Don’t forget your Oracle directory objects, particularly if you have migration jobs that use them.