Issue Importing Permission Set

• 25 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
  • Sidekick (Partner)
  • 14 replies

Hello,

I am having issues when importing some Permission Sets. I was able to do the import but upon checking some of the Permission Sets, I noticed that the End User Roles were not showing anything in the Navigator Preview tab. The End User Roles have Functional Roles in the structure and the Functional Role shows the grants. It just seems like they aren’t being pulled across to the End User Role. I have tried deleting and re-importing but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

`Here is the Functional Role that is assigned the End User Role below:

Here is the End User Role that the above Functional Role is assigned to:

Thank you

Nik Kumar

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

They won’t get pulled across to the End User Role, that isn’t how the Permission Structure works.  The End User Role if it is simply to roll up the Functional Roles beneath it might have no grants in and of itself - which is fine, it will still work.  You can’t view the End User Role and see the sum total of all the functional roles in the permission set.  

Think of the End User Role as a Phantom layer in a structure, it doesn’t have to do anything on its own, it just passes through the grants that are layered below it.

If you can see all of the functional roles in the View Permission Structure view, then it will work with their grants, but you won’t see any of them in the view you show attached.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I wouldn’t expect the grants of a Functional Role assigned to an End User role to show up in that End User role “Navigator Preview” screen.  That really only happens at runtime.

Are you also saying that if a user logs in with that End User role they don’t actually see the Functional Role grants?  If so, that would be very strange... in that case I would suggest that you might want to refresh the Security Cache and perhaps double check the logs from the import to see if there were any errors that you did not notice.

Nick

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@NickPorter - To answer your second question, that is exactly what is happening. The user logged in with the End User Role but it was blank. We did have some errors in the import log but it all revolved around customizations. We had the same error logs with other imported permission sets but had no problems with them.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@ShawnBerk Thank you for the information. That was my thinking too. Upon further review of our customer’s permission sets, it looks like they may have granted some access on the End User Role. We were able to determine that because we saw differences in the Nav Previews in the End User Role and the Functional Role. I think that’s why I was confused when looking at the Nav Previews at first. 

However, as stated to @NickPorter when the End User Role is granted to the user they don’t see of the Functional Role grants. It’s very weird and I have never seen that before when importing permission sets.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

@Nik_K Did you try to force a refresh on the Security Cache, then try logging on with the user again?  If that doesn’t fix it by itself,  the only other thing I can think of given the described scenario is to remove and reassign the functional roles to the end user role then refresh cache.

All I can think is that the fact that you are doing a Replace of an existing end user role it may not correctly be bringing in the hierarchy structure - possibly happening due to those errors you noted. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Those errors seem to indicate that the custom package and values are not yet imported or enabled in the target environment you are importing the permissions to.  If that is the case, I can see why some of the functional roles are failing even if others are not failing.

I would correct whatever the source of those errors are first then reimport the permissions, I think you will continue to see odd things till the errors are cleared.