Solved

Is there any limitation regarding IAL?

• 23 February 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

IAL seems a very convenient object to create buffer table or provide limited access to some data to external users. However I was wondering whether creating lot of IAL may impact the performance of IFS in general or not… 

And when we schedule an IAL, based on what user the SQL is run? i do not have access to the company XYZ, so if i run the SQL i will not see data related to this company. Thus when I create the IAL , I want IFSAPP or another super user to run my SQL in order to include XYZ. How can I do that ? For instance, in the scheduler we can specify on behalf of whom the scheduler will run.

icon

Best answer by NickPorter 23 February 2022, 22:20

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

IALs run under a specific, defined user account such as IFSINFO.  The IAL Owner account can be see in the System Parameters screen in the “Information Access  Layer (IAL) Oracle User”

The idea is exactly as you noted: you would use that to pull data that the user does not directly have access to (e.g. individual salaries) to allow them to see data at a higher view (e.g. the total company salary spend)

From a performance perspective, that will depend.  If you have a lot of people accessing a large IAL that uses Live Data then it could have an impact.  If you update it 1 x daily out of hours, then it won’t matter as much even if it is still a large IAL.

HTH,

Nick