Solved

Impact of IFS Applications 10 Updates on Aurena Global and Custom Contexts

• 30 October 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Question: How are Aurena Global and Custom Contexts affected by IFS Applications 10 Core Updates?

Example: Customer creates a Custom Context in IFS Aurena on a baseline installation of IFS Applications 10 UPD7. They subsequently deploy UPD8. Are both the Global Context and Custom Context automatically updated and aligned with UPD8 when it is deployed or do they have to manually update either or both of the Global or Custom Context?

Reason for Question: Customer is about to take UPD9 and wants to know the impact on Global and Custom Contexts.

If someone could sign-post me to any published information on this topic please I would appreciate it. I have searched the IFS 10 Technical Documentation but couldn’t find anything which specifically addressed this.

Many Thanks,

Russell

icon

Best answer by paul harland 30 October 2020, 14:20

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi @rucogb 

That’s tricky to answer.  The issue you can run into is basically invalid pointers (Aurena pages looking for objects that no longer exist).  You can get errors in that scenario, and the only way to clean them up is to visit the page and verify the configuration, and make necessary changes (or revert objects to the new as-delivered configuration).

Note that the “Global context As-delivered” is updated by R&D as part of the update.  So basically the Aurena pages, as delivered by IFS, should point to the appropriate resources.  However, configurations either to the global context or a named context sit in a layer on top of that, and this is where the issues might exist.

Once configured, it doesn’t make any difference here whether we’re talking about Global or Named context.

My impression was that going from UPD 7 to 8, more objects changed than going from UPD 8 to 9, so this challenge would be more noticeable going from 7 to 8.

There’s no published information I’m afraid.  

Badge +2

Thanks Paul,

Really appreciate the quick reply on this earlier today. I think I’ve seen other threads which mention what you call “invalid pointers” and how to address Error Messages that arise as a result so I’ll look into that and see if it is a factor that this Customer needs to consider.

On the specific point where you say above, “the only way to clean them up is to visit the page and verify the configuration”, is there guidance in the Technical Documentation on that or is it the same as I’ve referred to in the previous paragraph?

I guess my concern is that if there is no published information on this then it’s difficult for us to guide our Customers on how to be prepared for it ahead of the deployment of a core Update.

Regards,

Russell