Solved

IFS inserts double quotation in migration job

• 12 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi All.

I’m trying to migrate some data with double quotation but after load the file, the system automatic inserts double quotions before and after the record, also in the middle.

is there a way to fix this?

Br.

Lopes

icon

Best answer by lopespetro 14 January 2024, 22:55

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @lopespetro,

This is how CSV files work. When it comes to CSV files, double quotes, commas and new line characters are considered special characters. If a certain field contains a double-quote character, then all double-quotes within that field will be replaced with double double quotes. And the whole field will be enclosed in double quotes as well. So your field will be transformed as follows, when it is put into a CSV file:

3"-LP-C10-FBL-012 → "3""-LP-C10-FBL-012"

Excel knows how to identify these special characters and show you the field in its original form. If you open your source CSV file using a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++ instead of Excel, you would see that this is how your field is actually written in your source CSV file as well with extra double quotes. IFS Migration knows how to handle this when performing the migration, so data should be imported to the tables in the correct format. 

If you need to test, you can just import one record and see if it imports the record as you intend. 

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @lopespetro,

This is how CSV files work. When it comes to CSV files, double quotes, commas and new line characters are considered special characters. If a certain field contains a double-quote character, then all double-quotes within that field will be replaced with double double quotes. And the whole field will be enclosed in double quotes as well. So your field will be transformed as follows, when it is put into a CSV file:

3"-LP-C10-FBL-012 → "3""-LP-C10-FBL-012"

Excel knows how to identify these special characters and show you the field in its original form. If you open your source CSV file using a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++ instead of Excel, you would see that this is how your field is actually written in your source CSV file as well with extra double quotes. IFS Migration knows how to handle this when performing the migration, so data should be imported to the tables in the correct format. 

If you need to test, you can just import one record and see if it imports the record as you intend. 

Hope this helps!

Hi @Charith Epitawatta . Tks for your response and great explanation. I could see in txt file if I save as a csv.

I needed to update some mch_pos of some functional objets.

My workaround for this situation was:

• Copy and paste my data into a new txt file and save;
  • change the migration column separator to <tab>;
  • Loaded the txt file and no more double quotations;

Tks for your attention and time.