Question

IFS Connect thinks text/xml response is binary

• 6 December 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I’m calling a REST service (an RSS feed, actually, updated daily) that returns an XML response which I want transform and pass on to a projection, but the application message keeps failing with an error:

Error while preparing input data. Caused by: ifs.fnd.base.SystemException: Attempt to use an XSL transformer (C_RBA_RSS_TO_IFS_CURR_RATE) on binary data

Has anyone experienced the same and know a way around it?

FYI, I’ve tried to set a a header on the REST routing address - Accept: text/xml - but that made no difference.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @AussieAnders,

Check your REST service with postman and ensure that the response contains Content-Type: application/xml header. If it’s not present or have a different content type, that could be the problem.

Most of the time, setting the Content-Type in the request would solve the problem. If it doesn’t work, maybe you could create a java transformer so this exception would not occur.

Regards,

Damith

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

It returns Accept: text/xml even if I pass application/xml in the request. Still XML, but nonetheless, can IFS Connect be confused by that?

I also tried to pass Accept-Encoding: "" to make sure I don’t get a compressed response, but that made no difference.

I have also tried a Java transformer, but get the same error.

FYI, on IFS Applications 10 I used a work-around by saving the response to a file using path %FILE_OUT%\..\in, so that the IFS Connect default file reader would pull it right back in again, and then I could apply my transformer. On IFS Cloud I need server access to set up absolte file paths though, so I’d rather not work with files.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @AussieAnders ,

I think IFS Connect determines whether it’s XML or binary from the Content-Type header, not the Accept header. What value you get in the Content-Type header in your response?

Regards,

Damith

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Whoops, did a typo there. The service (actually an RSS feed) returns Content-Type: text/xml in the response.

I tried passing Accept: application/xml in the request, but it still returns Content-Type: text/xml in the response.

Still, that is XML, but IFS Connect just doesn’t understand that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey,

Content-Type: text/xml should work. But I’m now talking about incoming XMLs through soapgateway, not the XML coming from a response. Can you send a screen capture of your routing rule and the error in the application message?

Regards,

Damith

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Yeah, I think it’s because I’m using the REST sender that IFS Connect doesn’t understand that it’s getting a response back.

I’m trying to automate fetching of currency rates from an RSS feed on the Internet. First step is a schedule migration job where I use an event action to create an outbound application message. It’s just a dummy message to invoke a GET using the REST connector. I then want to capture the response, transform it, and pass it to the standard projection for receiving currencyt rates in IFS Cloud. My routing rule below:

The error I’m getting is: Error while preparing input data. Caused by: ifs.fnd.base.SystemException: Attempt to use an XSL transformer (C_RBA_RSS_TO_IFS_CURR_RATE) on binary data

I can download the response though, and have verified by opening in Notepad++ that I’m getting the expected XML and that the encoding is UTF-8.

Currently, my XSL transformer is on the 2nd address in the link, but I’ve tried putting it as response transformer on my 1st address.

On IFS Applications 10 I have used the workaround of saving the response to the default input directory for IFS Connect’s file reader, so I get a second application message that processes just fine. That’s a bit harder to set up with IFS Cloud though, so I’m trying to avoid working with files.

Also, I’m trying to make this configuration only.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I did some testing similar to your setup and it seems the input to chain link 2 is always binary regardless of the content type in chain link1. I think it could be a bug in routing :<

However, if you create a java transformer of type binary, then you could process the content and convert to json required by the projection.

Otherwise, you could create a workflow to perform the same thing. I suppose you could use the finCurrencyTypeUpdate workflow as a template and change according to your need.

Cheers!

Damith

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Thanks Damith. I think I need to explore the Workflow option.