Question

IFS Cloud - IAL (Information Access Layer) support again from 21R2?

• 15 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
  • Sidekick (Employee)
  • 50 replies

Hi , 

I know that IAL is announced be deprecated in 21R1.

while , I just notice that “create New IAL Object” function is back  in 21R2 & 22R1.

So, does IFS allow to define csutom IAL Object in IFS Cloud again?

if NOT,  could I know the purpose of “create New IAL Object” function?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Yes, it is possible again. But only until the replacements are ready like Query Designer etc. So it is not so future proof to start creating new IAL’s. It is better to create own customized views or quick information sources.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi @Shou 

See also:

IAL Availability in Cloud 22R1 | IFS Community

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@Tomas Ruderfelt

Thanks for your reply.

Personally, I’m NOT a fan of Query-Designer-Like functionality,

usually , it means bad performane ,and cannot handle  complex sql(eg: join same table twice ,sub query , use “select” in column)

so, I think it’s better provoide user 2 choices ,

one for ordinary user

the other for advanced user.

Besides,  you mentioned Quick-Information-Sources,

could I know the main difference between IAL and QIS?

to me, they all bascially a “Custom View”, just IAL is inside IFSINFO schema, QIS is under IFSAPP schema.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi, I was mistaken here. You can’t use quick information sources as replacement for IAL. You always need to create a customized view.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Shou 

Depreciated features doesn’t mean they are removed. They are just not recommended to use and will be removed in future releases. We cannot tell when but they will be removed.

You can read the explanation here -

Thanks.

Badge +5

But in the help / tech documentation for 22R2 there’s no longer any mentioning about depreciation which was very clearly stated in the 21R1 and 21R2 documentation so the question still remains - is this feature slated for removal or not? Or does it mean that for each feature, I have to go back for all previous documentation to see if it was ever mentioned as depreciated?