Solved

IFS Cloud 23R1 - How to monitor IFS REST API calls invoked from third parties

• 27 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi All,

Assume third parties invoke IFS REST APIs from outside.
How do we monitor/audit, What APIs  are called from outside/when and what users calling APIs.
Is there any location where we can monitor each and every call?
 Note that every call may not be successful owing to errors raised from IFS but we need to monitor each and every call irrespective of their status: successful or unsuccessful.

icon

Best answer by Rifki Razick 27 October 2023, 17:30

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi @GaSoGB 

The best approach IMO here would be to place an API Management solution in front the IFS APIs (perhaps only the ones you need to expose) and get external systems to call IFS APIs via the API Manager. This will give you comprehensive governance capabilities (including monitoring, auditing etc.) for external API invocations.

Regards,

/Rifki

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Thanks @Rifki Razick ,

This means customer needs to buy an external software to monitor/audit IFS REST API calls from outside.
Is my understanding correct?
Do you have any plans to include an API Manager in IFS Cloud in the near future?

Best regards
GaSoGB

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Yes this will need to be a third party solution that could be commercial (most likely) or free/open source. No we don’t have any plans to embed an API manager in the near future.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Thanks a lot @Rifki Razick 

Best regards
Gayan S

Badge

@Rifki Razick - Sorry am i reading this right ... you saying with IFS Cloud there is literally no monitoring options to see how Rest API calls are performing inside IFS Cloud being this is going to be the main method of integrating with the system itself? 

I agree we can utilise an external manager but this only tells us what passes through it as “middleware”, this doesn't fully aid in fault diagnostics...sure I can see an API was sent ...detect there was a sudden latency delay outside of the norm...and i can see everything checks out up into IFS Cloud endpoint ...but then there is no way to determine why that API suddenly took X time to complete inside IFS just that my middleware detected a spike?

….as users of the product what is going to be the next step here...raise a support ticket each time? 

it would be far more beneficial for users of cloud to be able to have options in the monitoring console or somewhere in IFS too / set up auto altering to my own support team etc