Question

How to configure Print Agent to print reports in order

• 7 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

is there a way to configure print agent to print repots in the order of the print jobs ?

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I don’t think so, but I could be wrong.

As far as I am aware, a single IFS Print Agent prints jobs in the order it receives them.  So in that case the control would need to be done on the IFS side itself.  You could also have situations where a user prints something interactively and a background job prints something else that process at different speeds before sending the job to the Print Agent, which may look like a bad order but in reality the Print Agent really handled them in order as it received.

Of course if you have multiple Print Agents for that send to the same printer then the results on the printer itself could be out of sequence order, but each Print Agent would have printed what it had sequentially.  A singe Print Agent may also listen to different locations/queues and if it get print jobs coming in from multiple sources then it would theoretically process them in order but it could look out of sync from an output perspective.  To avoid this you would need to limit it to just a single ‘processor’ (e.g don’t run multiple queue processors or file processors in the Print Agent, only run one of them)

See the docs:

https://ebi-sims-cmifs.ebi.local:56080/ifsdoc/f1doc/foundation1/020_installation/400_installation_options/005_operational_reporting/020_install_print_agents/

Nick

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

We have a similar requirement & we think we may have found a solution to our issue. In our case we wanted prints to specific printers to come off in the order they were submitted & the config below appears to meet our needs.

Step 1 - In IFS Connect duplicate the BATCH2 message queue. Give it a logical name & set the EXECUTION_MODE to InOrder.
Step 2 - Duplicate the PROCESSING_PRINT_JOBS Task Template (also in IFS Connect) & give it a logical name. Set the QUEUE to be the message queue created in step 1, add the Logical Printers where the outputs should be printed in sequence & amend other parameters as required.

Print jobs sent to the printers specified in the task template should then be printed in the order they were submitted.

Anthony