Solved

Grant access to single column

• 26 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hello, 

I am needing to grant access to a single column in a table (Customer Order Lines), but I would like for the rest of the fields to remain Read Only. Specifically, I am looking to grant access to edit the Note field:

I have been looking through the Database Objects and Presentation Objects, but I do not see any areas where this is possible. Is this type of Permission Set configuration possible? Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Rusiru Dharmadasa 26 August 2021, 13:50

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I don’t think permissions/presentation objects concept allow to grant specific columns. It only allows to grant the full page/table (presentation object) - also through the framework it is possible to individually grant specific database procedures like New, Modify, or any other specific database procedure designed by that specific page. If there is such database procedure that will allow a user to edit only this Note column, it will be possible - no idea if there is such in this specific screen though. 

Custom events functionality can be used to prohibit modifying any other columns though. That means you grant write access to the whole table for a specific set of users and then create a custom event with a condition to filter those users. Then you can stop their action with an Error_sys error if they are modifying any other column except Notes. 

See following documentation to learn more about custom events. 

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/Foundation1/040_administration/240_integration/320_events/default.htm

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

@Rusiru Dharmadasa Excellent. Thank you for the confirmation. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Other option (depending if you want to do it for all users or just for a group of them can be tedious) is also to give permissions to all fields grant the Modify procedures, and per base profile, set all fields Read Only less Notes field. In this way, only Notes field will be available for modification