Solved

FND mig can read data from SQL Server?

• 16 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

HI All,

can we read /write data from sql server with help of Migration tool and insert into IFS application tables.

If yes, pls let me know that how can do this.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by dsj 16 February 2021, 09:14

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I don’t think we have an available functionality to direct import from SQL server. However you should be able to utilize “File Migration” or “Excel Migration” types in IFS data migration to achieve this. i.e. You export data from SQL server in to files and then use IFS “File migration” to import them in to IFS database. Or you export SQL server data in to excel and then use IFS “Excel migration” to import them. 

Following documentations explain how you can use “File Migration” and “Excel Migration”. 

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/Foundation1/040_administration/260_data_management/050_data_migration/002_migration_types/010_file_migration/default.htm

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/Foundation1/040_administration/260_data_management/050_data_migration/002_migration_types/030_excel_migration/default.htm

You can easily find manual and automated ways which you can use to export data from SQL server database. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I haven’t done myself but what I think is if you create a db link between IFS db and sql server, then you should be able to import data from sql server.

resources for creating db link between oracle and sql server: Database link from Oracle to SQL Server (dba-oracle.com)

Cheers!

Damith

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Don Burleson’s website is second-to-none, but he didn’t spell out how to build the init file. His instructions were also for hsodbc in Oracle 10, and dg4odbc is now what you want in 12. Here are my notes on how to do this, with our sensitive bits replaced of course:

On Oracle database server host:
Create ODBC connection
64-bit
System DSN
Type: SQL Server
Name: MY_SQL_SERVER_ODBC
Description: My Thing
Server: sql.example.com
"With SQL Server Authentication"
"Connect to SQL Server to obtain default settings for the additional configuration options"
User: sqluser
Password:
Next screen:
Don't change the default database.
Don't attach database filename.
Use ANSI quoted identifiers.
Use ANSI nulls, paddings, and warnings.
Next screen: Just one thing checked.
Perform translation of character data
Add entry to listener.ora.
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = MY_SQL_SERVER_ODBC)
(ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1)
(PROGRAM = dg4odbc)
)
Add entry to tnsnames.ora
MY_SQL_SERVER_ODBC =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =localhost)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA =(SID=MY_SQL_SERVER_ODBC))
(HS=OK)
)
)
Add file: C:\oracle\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1\hs\admin\initMY_SQL_SERVER_ODBC.ora
HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO = MY_SQL_SERVER_ODBC
HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL = OFF
HS_FDS_FETCH_ROWS = 1

Restart listener. (You may need to kill DG4ODBC.EXE from Task Manager if it's running.)
SET ORACLE_HOME=C:\oracle\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1
lsnrctl stop && lsnrctl start