Solved

Find what a text box on an IFS Form is linked to in the database

• 15 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

IFS APPS 9

Hi everyone,

Is there any way to find what a text box on an IFS Form is linked to in the database?

For an easy example, on the purchase order screen the site text field is tied to the contract column in the purchase_order_tab table. Is there a way to quickly figure that out if you didn’t already know?

The previous methods I have used to figure this out was by

• Trial and error (change value in form and see what has changed in the database)
  • Debug console to see activity going on
  • entering search parameters and then viewing the advanced window to see the actual field name

There has to be a better, faster solution than these. In the system info window we can see the “Object Relations”. Could these somehow be the key to this information? If so where can I find more information on how these “children” are related to the database views / tables?

Thanks,

Lavon

icon

Best answer by Charith Epitawatta 22 November 2022, 10:13

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Try Solution Manager\System Information and Utilities\Logical Units\Logical Unit.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thank you for the response @Technical Outlaws 

The logical unit page appears to give information on the views relation to the underlying table, but in this case looking for the connection to the application form. For another example to showcase this, how might I know that “Coordinator” on the purchase order form resolves to Authorize_Code  in the purchase_order_tab table if I didn’t already know that?

In your above supplied image the reference for authorize code is OrderCoordinator which would be a clue to that, but what about in a case where that reference was less obvious? 

There are also cases where elements on the form aren’t taken directly from an underlying view or table, but are instead using a database function and these wouldn’t show up on this logical unit page. ( e.g. Supplier_API.Get_Vendor_name() is used to get the supplier name on the Purchase Order form ). In cases where the form element isn’t searchable these can be tricky to track down.

Thanks,

Lavon

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @Edwards,

In IFSAPP10, this has been added to the System Info panel as a new feature. However, since you are on IFSAPP9, I am afraid you would have to resort to the ways you and Technical Outlaws have described.

Following are some screenshots from IFSAPP10:

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@Charith Epitawatta Thanks!

I just wanted to be certain there wasn’t a more optimal way to approach this, and now I know =)

-Lavon