Question

External B2B Access, URL-problem

Badge +1

We have together with our hosting provider tried to set up external B2B-access from the internet without success.

The problem is that IFS Applications 10 only supports one URL, same for B2B and Internal. This is described in the documentation (https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/foundation1/010_overview/210_security/090_exposing_to_internet/)

We have only found two options to get around this.
1. Publish the whole system to the internet (with whitelisting of IPs for internal access)
2. Let the internal DNS point to an internal IP-adress and the external DNS point to an external IP-adress.

Option 1 will not be allowed by the IT-security department, since this is a classified (national security) system.

For option 2 our network technicians sais that it will probably cause problems from time to time when internal people are accessing the system from outside the office (via VPN), and for example forgets to start the VPN before connecting to IFS, since this will cause external IP-adress to be cached on their PC. We have verified that this might be a problem, but we don't know how big it is.

In the documentation for IFS Cloud on the other hand, this seems to has been changed to allow two URLs, one internal and one external.(https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/22r1/070_remote_deploy/090_exposing_to_internet/010_proxy_example/)

Has anyone, in one way or another been able to use two different URL's in IFS Applications 10, like it is done in IFS Cloud (the hosting provder are using Netscaler in front of the appserver) ? Or does anyone have any other idea how it can be solved.

I know this is a question that might not be a supported configuration, but at the moment we are stuck and might be forced to skip all B2B-functionality in IFS, so all tips are appreciated.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Niklas,

This is a known limitation in Apps10… 
Our official proposal is the DNS with different IP’s… 
I know RnD tested a rewrite statement in OHS many years ago, but i’m not sure if it was ever implemented.. 
There is a rewrite in the mod_mws_ohs.conf that looks like it changes fqdn names… but i don’t have enough knowledge to say what it really do and why.

If it helps - Here is an example for rewrite of docman url’s as a custom rewrite defined in Admin Console, maybe you can figure out a more generic rewrite that can work in your scenario...

Cheers,

/henrik 

Badge +1

Hi,

i’ve done this, but only for the b2b portal. I did use IIS as a reverse proxy in between, so please look into this option. The internet and local FQDN’s do not match. We are still testing this but so far everything seems to work ok.

Thanks,

Kari