Exporting/sharing data

• 9 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 24 replies

Hi all,

Are there any possibilities that we can setup some data-export within the application?

For example if we want to export data from a view (or table), like:

select * from plant_object

If possible, can we set the desired format (XML, JSON etc...), and can we make this to execute automatically using some sort of scheduled job?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by NickPorter 9 February 2022, 15:16

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Yes.  If you want to keep it fully inside the IFS framework I would suggest creating a Quick Report that is a SQL Query, then schedule that report to run and email the output.

There are other options but this is likely one of the simplest.

Nick

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @NickPorter,

Thank you for the very quick answer.

Can you tell me about the other options also? :smile:

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

You could script something custom outside of IFS to run in an external tool, you could create a SQL Query but not as a quick report and then manually schedule that to run, etc...

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Thank you @NickPorter for the quick reply!

Will leave this post open for some time in case there are somebody else who wants to reply before I mark your answer as “best answer”. :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

No problem; maybe you could just ‘like’ it in the meantime :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

By the way, can we use IFS Connect and Transformers to achieve this?

:)

IFS Connect

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Not possible to schedule (I don;t think), but you can also use Output channels for any data gathered into a grid (standard IFS screens and Quick Report output alike). So if you have, say a list of Customers, you can click :Output” at the bottom of the screen and “Add” a new output channel:

You can output to XML, and if you wanted you could create a dummy application that takes the filename and copies the file to a known location (advanced command line operations can use parameter @FILENAME). Or just open in Excel as a CSV and save it off wherever you like.

Once you have created the new Output channel, it shows up under the right-click Output menu:

Like I said, though, this would be interactive, and not schedule-able. Still, Output methods are a powerful way to send the data the user has assembled to an external application. We leverage that as one of our integration methodologies so that users can assemble data using IFS-native Searches and Quick Reports and an external application can then operate on the data without needing to construct search functionality of our own making.

These Output channels can be set up on a user-by-user basis so that the Output menu doesn’t become overwhelming (also a bit of “security via obfuscation” on that front, though a savvy user could easily see the calls you are making...).

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Depending on what your goal is, another idea might be to use an External Replication migration job.  You can read more about that here: External Replication