Solved

Editable column/field

• 11 March 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Hi - Hopefully I'm in the right area and also I hope that I am not asking a redundant question.  I did search forums did a search here.  I am working with a view/screen that the user wants a field inserted via column chooser that exists on the form that is used to populate view/screen.  Yes, you can create a custom field which inherits the value of existing field on form and have it become a visible column in screen/view.  I've already done that and that works. But it's READ-ONLY. This new column/field needs to be editable from screen/view as the field it's referencing is editable when viewing the form.  Thoughts?  Thank you all for your consideration.
icon

Best answer by ShawnBerk 11 March 2020, 21:16

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

If you are talking about moving adding a field from the view screen - typically the data entry single record view to be editable on the overview screen - then sometimes it isn’t possible.  Many of the fields on the single record view are actually in different tables, but just happen to be grouped within a tab under that record.  They can’t be edited from the overview due to referential integrity that is required for the record and parent-child relationships.  Some fields can be made editable from the overview, but usually if they aren’t editable on the overview, there is a reason IFS designed it that way.  You would have to be more specific about the exact field and form you are referring to in order for a complete answer I think.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thank you for responding Shawn!  The overview/screen is Inventory Parts.  The form is Inventory Part.  The field is Estimated Material Cost.  And yes, you are correct - this field is located on a tab for the Inventory Part form - however, this field is found in the INVENTORY_PART_CONFIG.  So….hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

@twalterson  - OK then thanks for clarifying.  No, I don’t know of any way to add that field to the Inventory Parts Overview as an editable field.  When we need to update this field in a bulk mode, we do it from a migration job which unfortunately means IT involvement and not user direct updates.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks so much for responding Shawn!  That confirms the original prognosis as well.

Thanks!