Solved

Document Basic Data - Association Category

• 11 February 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Where can I use the association category? We have seen it in the basic data but we have not seen a possibility to connect it to a document.

icon

Best answer by sholmes 11 February 2020, 16:05

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi

It’s in the Object tab on Document revision

Hope that helps

Userlevel 7

Have you checked the help text, it's pretty good in DocMan.

A category is assigned when an object is attached to a document to describe the purpose of this 
connection. When using documents for different purposes, for example instructions, construction 
and maintenance, the association category can be used to view or print documents of one or more 
such categories. A document reference can have up to five different assigned categories.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

thank you! after seeing the screenshot I understand the meaning of the help text ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Glad to see this is sorted out :) As for the name, it is not the best, nor is the implementation of the “user interface” for it. I think we could drop “Association” and we might make it easier to understand. And, being able to select one of five categories, but in the same field is… goofy, to say the least. But, it saves us from having a sub-list/table, and it is extremely compact in all its strangeness… :) Even if I suspect very few customers use this, I think it is a good idea, if you have a lot of documentation connected to your objects. It should make the documentation more valuable.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi @Mathias Dahl and @anmise thanks for the explanation above but I am struggling to understand the below help text relevant for Association category. 

“A document reference can have up to five different assigned categories.” Does this mean one document revision can have up to 5 association categories? 

Any idea on this help text please?

Thanks,

Chamath

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

> Does this mean one document revision can have up to 5 association categories? 

I was going to say Yes, but then realized it is not the document revision, it is the CONNECTION, the relation, or the attachment record itself, that has the category, not the document. The category is meant to be a way to describe for what purposes the document is connected to/attached to the object.

The connection can have up to 5 categories (letters/numbers), yes.