Solved

Display a question on a form

• 14 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I need to create a custom field that is the answer to a question. This question is long:

“Is the carbon intensity of the energy produced by the power station, calculated over its entire life cycle, below 100gCO2/KWh? “

However the prompt field does not accept more than 30 caracters.

Does anyone have a trick, hack whatsoever so I can display may question within the form ?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by anmise 14 November 2022, 08:58

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7

I need to create a custom field that is the answer to a question. This question is long:

“Is the carbon intensity of the energy produced by the power station, calculated over its entire life cycle, below 100gCO2/KWh? “

However the prompt field does not accept more than 30 caracters.

Does anyone have a trick, hack whatsoever so I can display may question within the form ?

Thanks

Where and when do you want to display this question? Could you add an additional field with the question and instructions as to how the user would confirm? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi, thanks for your interest in my question.

It ‘s in the project screen. We must answer the question depending on specific service lines/activities chosen (both are custom fields). I was thinking of making an event to make the answer to the question mandatory or not. The problem is really to display this text. I thought to put the question in a a read only custom field that would display the question based on the activity chosen, however it requires to refresh the screen in order to update the field, and thus if the answer field is mandatory because of the choice we made, the question will not display before I select the answer. 

Userlevel 7

Hi, thanks for your interest in my question.

It ‘s in the project screen. We must answer the question depending on specific service lines/activities chosen (both are custom fields). I was thinking of making an event to make the answer to the question mandatory or not. The problem is really to display this text. I thought to put the question in a a read only custom field that would display the question based on the activity chosen, however it requires to refresh the screen in order to update the field, and thus if the answer field is mandatory because of the choice we made, the question will not display before I select the answer. 

I’d create a stopping message with the longer text, using an event, that triggers if nothing has been selected in the carbon intensity field. Something like this: 

IF Service Line = X AND Activity = Y AND Carbon Intensity is null then 

Error_SYS.Appl_General('Activity', 'TEST: Is the carbon intensity of the energy produced by the power station, calculated over its entire life cycle, below 100gCO2/KWh? Please enter a value in field “Carbon intensity below 100gCO2/KWh?').

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

You can create a persistent custom field with the question itself and hide the prompt. You could also go crazy and create separate custom fields for each 30 characters of the question. But that would take a lot of fiddling to get on the screen neatly.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thanks all for your suggestions. I have created a read only field based on a simple mandatory drop down value with a CLU that holds a column per question linked to this dop down value and it works. Although it s not clean. I just wanted to know if there was something embedded within IFS that i completely missed, and the answer is no.

Thanks again!