Solved

Deactivate site

• 29 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hello all,

Our company used to have 3 sites set up.  A portion of the business was sold which now renders 2 of the 3 sites we set up as obsolete for the current company.  Is there any way to “deactivate” sites so they are no longer an option for customer orders, sales contracts, etc.?  We are using APPS10 update 6.

Thank you,

Marty

icon

Best answer by ShawnBerk 29 April 2021, 23:56

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

I’ve found there is actually a large amount of work that is necessary to draw down a site to prevent its use for new transactions.  There is no single place to do this that I’ve found.

To wind down the supply side, we inactivated all of the SfPPs for that site to make it harder to create purchase orders.

To wind down the demand side, we inactivated all of the sales parts for that site to make it harder to create customer orders.

Then we stopped allocating permissions to those sites to users so they couldn’t even see them. However, for at least a year, we had to keep them open for many users, especially finance until all of the transactions and orders were flushed out of the site.  Then over time, we continued to remove access to the users to minimize the visibility of the sites. 

Here is my assessment that I provided at the time we needed to deactivate two sites due to closure:

So the question is how hard do we want to limit the access?  It may be that this needs to be a combination depending on the job role, requiring further discussion.

There is no read only capability by site if you recall, if you can perform a particular transaction, you can perform that transaction in any site you have access.

Hardest Line:

Remove site access for a user makes it impossible for them to see anything in that site, that includes parts, customer orders, purchase orders, shop orders, etc

(this may be appropriate for Receiving personnel, but not sure beyond that;  benefit is IT control and no one can inadvertently put it back, downside is nothing can be seen)

Harder Line:

Change the Inventory Parts in site 481 and 581 to Do Not Sell (DNS) [Part Status] which would prevent any new supply orders (PO or Shop Order) or any new demand orders (CO), but doesn’t prevent straight inventory moves from one site to another.  We don’t actually have a condition for that version where no inventory is allowed.  We could create one as we are at an unprecedented situation with these two sites, so that may be the right step.

(this allows full visibility for everyone who currently has it, but would limit most transactions.  Only downside is a loss of current data in that field – there are 876 that are already DNS meaning they were intentionally set.  If we set them all that way, then we don’t know which were the intentional ones.  If we create a new status to block everything, then these 876 could still have inventory moved to them if left that way.  Changing to the new code again is a possible loss of history.  In any of these cases, anyone with Planner or Buyer access would be able to put them back to Active)

Soft Line:

Inactivate all Supplier for Purchase Parts and Sales Parts which would prevent placing inventory POs or creating Customer Order Lines for inventory items.

Then lock all of the inventory locations so they can’t hold inventory.

(really only minimal protection as people could activate them and continue on in any of the cases)

No Line – but needs done:

Send a blanket notification to all PROD users that no transactions are allowed in 481 or 581 

(doesn’t prevent inadvertent transactions, just a notification at this time)

My suggestion would be in this order:

• Remove 481 and 581 access for anyone doing receiving in any other site, meaning if you have Warehouse permissions, you can’t have site access; it will be mutually exclusive – If you have one, you can’t have the other.
  • Send the No Line notification
  • Perform the Soft Line inactivation and locking of things and see if anything changes

Let it go for a while and see what happens before visiting the Harder or Hardest lines for everyone.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I thought as much, but your answer is comprehensive and excellent!  Thank you for this response.