Question

DB Lost TNSPing and RDP simultaneousely on wire. Wifi works great.

Badge +5

IFSDB can ping but not TNSPing. All coms problems are localized to wired traffic. Firewall and registry settings have been doublechecked. AV has been uninstalled/reinstalled on both client and server to eliminate it as a cause. All windows updates are current. Any ideas not previousely mentioned?

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

It could be a lot of different things.  Options will depend on your network structure.  To start you need to identify if it is just one machine or all wired machines having the issue? 

If all (or if more than one) then check firewalls especially for port 1521 which is typical Oracle DB port. 

If just one machine, can that machine access anything else using wired?  If not check the cable and ports.

Badge +5

All wired machines trying to connect have the issue, all wireless machines attempting to connect do not. Same host (laptop) wired does not work, wireless it does. Other Servers on the same network/vlan do not have the issue. I can RDP into any of them from a wire no issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

So in that case, as noted, I’d start by looking at the firewall(s) both on the server and in-between that and the clients. Chances are that your wifi and wired networks are independent, with some security set up on the wired infra that doesn’t allow port 1521 (assuming you have Oracle on the default port) to/from that DB server.

Badge +5

Netstat -na says listening on 1521 with several established.

Badge +5

setup a Inside Any to Inside DB filter in the firewall. No change.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Please check the Oracle listener file on the DB server for any entries using host name or IP address of the server. If there is an entry, make sure you can ping it from a client using wired connection. 

Badge +1

If your able to connect to db using wifi, it means your ports are open fine and listener at db side is listening ok for incoming connection requests. I am guessing you are able to tnsping and ping from client using wifi (as DNS is resolving your “hostname” fine with wifi).

BUT when you switch to wired connection you are not able tnsping or ping (because hostname is not resolving through DNS while wired) . To check that use ip of host instead of hostname , see if you can ping/tnsping/rdp to host. You need to find tnsnames.ora file on client and replace hostname to ip . May be something is wrong with DNS.

Cheers.

Badge +5

Hostname and IP Address do the same thing.

Badge +5

Srikanth

New to this. Where is this...listener file you speak of?

I can ping by IP and Hostname on wire, but cannot TNSPing either from wire.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Can be found under ORACLE_HOME\network\admin directory, same place as TNSNAME.ORA file. The file is called LISTENER.ORA

Badge +5

Thanks for the assist, I appologize for my ignorance, A) but I do a windows search for ORACLE_HOME and get nothing. I am on the IFSDB Server. B) If I were to need help from IFS Support how do I establish a connection with them and what are the rates?