Solved

Database task schedule actions do not trigger custom events?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello,

I currently have a scenario where I have a custom event that triggers upon the insert or update of a row in the REMINDER_PROPOSAL_TAB in IFS Cloud. This works completely fine when creating a reminder proposal, but when creating a reminder proposal the same way, and selecting ‘schedule’ this does not trigger the event action, even though nothing else has changed.

Anyone have any idea on why this is the case? I can confirm its not hitting the custom event or the event action, since I left errors in the workflow that the event action is referencing.

Thanks,
Bryan

icon

Best answer by Tomas Ruderfelt 13 May 2024, 07:04

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Did you check any other event action type other than Workflows? If no other type of event action works as well, we can narrow down to the issue being in the custom event.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

If you want to trigger a Workflow from background jobs. Have you set the timing to “Asynchronous”? Since that is the only one available in that scenario.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @Tomas Ruderfelt 

I just tested Async timing and unfortunately, this did not trigger the custom event or workflow.

Thank you for the suggestion though!
Bryan

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @Tomas Ruderfelt 

I take back what I said previously. It’s true that no workflow observation has been created, and its true that the workflow itself has not worked, but I just checked the ‘BPA_ASYNC_SYS_TAB’ table and I see my workflow stuck in ‘IP’ status, meaning its stuck in progress. Not sure why or how this could occur, but it technically did attempt to trigger the workflow.

Thanks,
Bryan

Badge +1

Hi @bdoucette ,

Did you find out about how why workflow stuck in ‘IP’? I have the same issue when workflow is triggered from background task.

Thanks,

Ichung Young

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @iyoung 

Unfortunately no, I rebuilt the event action and had to redesign the workflow to be very, very basic, trying to account for all etag errors that might arise, which seems to work ‘most’ of the time, but I cannot specifically say what my error was. Trial and error I guess is the best approach for now, but I heard that in one of the 23R2 updates, you’ll be able to do workflow observations for async calls, which is very much needed.

Good luck,

Bryan

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Yes. Workflow observations is there from 23R2. But even so, still you can use the contents of the attr column in BPA_ASYNC_SYS_TAB as inputs and try to debug the Workflow in inspect mode and check the expected behaviour is there. Sometimes troubleshooting like this helps to isolate the error since we are using the actual inputs.

Badge +1

Hi @bdoucette ,

Thank you for taking the time to response. We are still on 22R2.

I saw another post mentioned workflow may not work if using SSO.

I switched to a local user and the workflow is executed and status in BPA_ASYNC_SYS_TAB is updated to DONE.

Ichung Young

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @Lahirumala de Mel 

The only info in our attr column is ‘!BPE_REM_ACKNOWLEDGED’ which is the name of the event action that triggered this workflow instance… nothing that we could use, and also like I mentioned, the workflow runs fine for the calling of the projection action to print these reminders, but nothing actually happens.

Thanks,
Bryan

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @iyoung 

Glad to hear it, we aren’t using SSO for our user that tested this, but we have heard the same thing as well. Happy to hear your issue is resolved though!

Thanks,
Bryan

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi @bdoucette ,

If there’s only the event action in attr column that means no data has passed from the custom event to the workflow. Is that intended? If data are passed to the Workflow from the event they should be seen in attr column. If data are supposed to come into the Workflow please check if correct columns are added in the custom event.

/Lahirumala