Question

Data replication between sites

• 8 June 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hello!  I am an implementation manager and solution architect with IFS North America and I would be interested in how others may have accomplished this.

I have a customer that has several sites around the world. They asked how they can best copy inventory parts, product structures, sales parts, purchase parts and possible routings from one site to another.

The “Copy Part” function from the inventory part does all of this but that is on a part by part basis and would take far too much time.  The  “Copy Parts to Site” does not copy all the associated structures, purchase and sales parts. etc.

I thought about using assortments and site clusters but it appears that if I select a manufactured part from the source site, it gets created as a purchased part in the secondary sites.  You still need to associate or create the parts as part of the assortment before they can be replicated to other sites.

One suggestion was to use the data replication functions but in all of my tenure at IFS, I have never used them. 

I would appreciate any insights or guidance you can offer to aid me in this situation.  Thanks!

Vernon Anderson

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

See this thread where I explained a bit about how we control this for various sites, more on the BOM side, but all our controls are here.  We control which sites get parts only (won’t manufacture, just purchase and hold inventory), which sites get parts and BOMs (will manufacture, purchase, and hold inventory), and when it is considered a service part, gets copied to all 10 service sites simultaneously.

We use inventory part templates in each site and then an API to use the custom field settings on the Master Part to drive the Inventory Part setup by copying from the template.  Rules on part type drive whether it is initially Manufactured or Purchased.  If Purchased, IFS does the Purchase Part setup.  SfPP setup is manually controlled by Buyers at each site.  Sales Part setup is controlled by a custom RMB action that is initiated from the Part Costs screen once Cost Set 1 is updated.  

We’ve also created events to update the SfPP price in a demand site when the cost changes in a supply site if the SfPP is connected for intersite operations.

In my estimation, you’ll find no good way to do what you need with out of the box tools, it will require a fair bit of customization (no MODs) to do this efficiently.