Solved

Connect Oracle Client 12 to Crystal Reports 2016

• 23 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

I’m attempting to set up Crystal Reports 2016 so I can connect to the IFS Oracle database (Apps 9). I’m using Oracle Client 12. 

Firstly, I have not seen anyplace where it is specified the normal tnsnames.org file location for Oracle Client 12. Everything says “ORACLE_HOME” (which I understand means whatever the home  directory is not a directory literally named “ORACLE_HOME”) /network/admin. There is no network OR admin folder in the Oracle directory. To use SQL Developer, I don’t need that anyway, because I can just directly load a tnsnames.ora file.

But then Crystal reports… I have googled seven ways from Sunday and cannot figure out how the heck to associate the TNS file with Crystal Reports. When I go to “Database Expert”, I have an option for “Oracle Server”, but no matter what values I use (and I know they’re the correct values b/c I can connect with them in SQL Developer), I can’t connect. 

No one here is very savvy at this so there is no one I can ask.

Help!

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by alanbclark 23 March 2021, 20:24

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

A couple hints.

1. You must use an Oracle client that matches the architecture of your Crystal Report application. For example, if you installed the 32-bit Crystal Reports Developer then you must install an Oracle 32-bit client.
  2. What type of Oracle client did you install? (Instant, Runtime, Administrator, custom, etc.)?
  3. If you installed the instant client the folders may not have been created. Please re-install the Oracle client and either install the Runtime of Administrator option. This will create the proper folders and includes tools to create/edit the TNSNAMES.ORA file.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @NerakYak ,

The tnsnames.org file in my environment is located here.

C:\app\product\12.2.0\client_1\network\admin

Have you installed the Oracle Client on your machine?

You’ll have to install either the x32 or x64 bit Oracle Client on your local machine first then place the tnsnames.org file in the location such as C:\app\product\12.2.0\client_1\network\admin

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @NerakYak ,

When you install oracle you need to install it in Administrator option and should install oracle client 32 bit in order to work with Crystal Reports. 

If you are getting the oracle server option that means you have the client version but it seems like you havent installed oracle in Administrator mode. Then only you will get app\product\12.2.0\client_1\network\admin folder where you can add database entry in tns file.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Badge +3

Thanks, all! Now I need to wait for IT to re-install. Alas, I don’t have admin rights on my machine. :(

Badge +3

It worked! Thank you so much! :)

Happy Friday!