Skip to main content

We have an External Files background job that calls External_File_Utility_API.Execute_Batch_Process2. It runs every half hour or so to look for invoices.

When it doesn’t find the file, it throws a background job error.

ORA-20110: ExternalFileUtility.File MY_DIRECTORY\MY_FILE.CSV not exist

We’re getting more serious about managing our background job errors, and this one is generating quite a bit of noise. I’m trying to improve the signal-to-noise ratio with the ultimate goal of making every error actionable.

Is there a way to configure it to fail silently or gracefully when the file isn’t there, rather than throw this ugly error?

Kevin, 

You can do this by switching to FNDMIG and the rule for CHKSERVFILE which will only run the job if the file exists.

by switching to FNDMIG

At this level of effort, I’d write a PL/SQL wrapper to call External_File_Utility_API.Execute_Batch_Process2 and trap the exception inside of it. I was hoping to avoid that and do this in pure configuration.

Just call External_File_Utility_API.Execute_Batch_Process2 from FNDMIG with the rule set up.

It’s less effort than creating a wrapper.

@Mike.Hollifield  

Hi, can you please provide guidance on how the call External_File_Utility_API.Execute_Batch_Process2 is done?  Thank you in advance.