Question

Can External Files fail silently?

• 16 July 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

We have an External Files background job that calls External_File_Utility_API.Execute_Batch_Process2. It runs every half hour or so to look for invoices.

When it doesn’t find the file, it throws a background job error.

ORA-20110: ExternalFileUtility.File MY_DIRECTORY\MY_FILE.CSV not exist

We’re getting more serious about managing our background job errors, and this one is generating quite a bit of noise. I’m trying to improve the signal-to-noise ratio with the ultimate goal of making every error actionable.

Is there a way to configure it to fail silently or gracefully when the file isn’t there, rather than throw this ugly error?

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Kevin, 

You can do this by switching to FNDMIG and the rule for CHKSERVFILE which will only run the job if the file exists.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

by switching to FNDMIG

At this level of effort, I’d write a PL/SQL wrapper to call External_File_Utility_API.Execute_Batch_Process2 and trap the exception inside of it. I was hoping to avoid that and do this in pure configuration.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Just call External_File_Utility_API.Execute_Batch_Process2 from FNDMIG with the rule set up.

It’s less effort than creating a wrapper.

Badge +3

@Mike.Hollifield  

Hi, can you please provide guidance on how the call External_File_Utility_API.Execute_Batch_Process2 is done?  Thank you in advance.