Skip to main content
Question

Revenue Recognition Split to Different Profir Centers

• 19 July 2024
  • 3 replies

When we run revenue recognition, typically revenue and costs are posted to just one profit center based on what is in the pre-posting. For example, for the revenue portion, the related posting control is GP12, currently set up like so:

As I understand, the profit center is being taken from the Pre-posting. In this case, the pre-posting is in the financial project. For example, like the below:

We would like revenue and/or costs of certain projects to be recognized and posted to more than one profit center. Is there any way to do this? Any help would be much appreciated.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

Sorry to say the rev rec process / pre-posting does include the split. 

If your split is a static percentage from month to month (for a given project) you could try the automatic posting rules function. This is a transaction-by-transaction process where a posting line can generate other posting lines including reclassing or split into other posting lines.  

Automatic posting rule is pretty easy to use.   You would need to test and verify.   

The first section of the automatic posting rule is a trigger - what condition must exist (such as voucher type, account string and other data). The next part is to define the results, for example take out 100% of the original posting line (using * as the code part vales) and reposting that then as a 50/50 split into account string 1 and account string 2. The * can be used to include the same code part values as the original entry as well as defining the segment values that will be different. 

It's a very easy tool, however, depending on version it may / may not require you to include an activity sequence. I’m your version it may not.   Generally speaking, transactions relating to external projects (Project management type projects) require an activity sequence. Exceptions exist, I believe this may be one of the exceptions.   

I would test for you, however I don’t have everything set up that needs to be (for your version) for a good test. 

Best regards, 

Thomas

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Thomas Peterson thank you for your reply. When you say automatic posting rule, in which window would that be in? Is it this one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Yes.