Question

Positive pay files

• 21 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hello

We typically create multiple supplier payment orders from one entity at the same time on the same bank account, and we are set-up in Payment Documents to create a positive pay file on that bank account.  If we create 3 payment orders, when the background jobs execute to create the positive pay, 3 background jobs kick off.  The first two jobs error out, the third one completes normally, and it contains all of the payments generated.  This is fine, but seems odd.  Can anyone comment on this behaviour?

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Cynthia,

Hope all is well.  

I don’t know why the first two jobs error, IFS should have a message.     

One of the parameters in the positive pay process is to select records that have not previously been sent for positive pay.  The job includes the checks because these checks had not previously been sent for positive pay (included within a load ID file).  The external file process will have history of the jobs / job numbers.   It would be helpful to have that history / reported errors.  See external file transactions (I believe) then see the details.  

You can also see what happened in terms of the checks that have been marked for positive pay in the supplier check screen. Look for positive pay type attributes.  It should include a load id. The checks would not have the error message, but you can see what load ID was used for the file creation. Any check with that positive pay information (by default) will not be selected again for positive pay. 

It really would be nice to see the error message. 

Best regards, 

Thomas

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Thanks Thomas

Its interesting - in External File Load IDs, then RMB to Details, only the file that processed properly is in there.

The error in background jobs on the files that error out is not extremely helpful (to me anyway!)

It makes sense that the file is only grabbing checks not previously sent for positive pay, which is what appears to be happening.  I’m just trying to figure out if we should be concerned, or report the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

It looks like it’s working.  The concern would be to make sure a process is in place such that you will know if a positive pay file is not created.  For example if the file is transferred to the bank automatically will you be informed of a failure.  Or if you transfer the file manually, you already have a process where if the file failed - you will know. 

Assuming you know when a file is not created, I would not be too concerned that the background job fails - because the “other” job runs successfully to  create the positive pay file with all the appropriate checks. 

Best regards, 

Thomas

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi Cynthia,

Hope all is well.  

I don’t know why the first two jobs error, IFS should have a message.     

One of the parameters in the positive pay process is to select records that have not previously been sent for positive pay.  The job includes the checks because these checks had not previously been sent for positive pay (included within a load ID file).  The external file process will have history of the jobs / job numbers.   It would be helpful to have that history / reported errors.  See external file transactions (I believe) then see the details.  

You can also see what happened in terms of the checks that have been marked for positive pay in the supplier check screen. Look for positive pay type attributes.  It should include a load id. The checks would not have the error message, but you can see what load ID was used for the file creation. Any check with that positive pay information (by default) will not be selected again for positive pay. 

It really would be nice to see the error message. 

Best regards, 

Thomas

Thomas -

Am I correct in my understanding that a positive pay file can only be generated once for a check range?

Best-

Christy

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

Thomas -

Am I correct in my understanding that a positive pay file can only be generated once for a check range?

No this is not correct. 

Assume a check has not been send for positive pay. When we run positive pay one of the parameters is defaulted to only send checks that not previously been sent for positive pay.  When that check is selected and positive pay file is created, the check is noted as being sent for positive pay and noted for the file ID. 

But that same check can be sent for positive pay again if you chose the option to include checks that have already been sent for positive pay.  When testing positive pat I routinely create multiple files with the same checks - fine tuning the external file template. 

Best regards, 

Thomas