Question

PO matching tolerance and invoice authorization

• 14 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

I have received different takes on how this works and hoping someone can shed light.  The documentation for this is very high overview with little detail.

Here is how I want the process to work:

1. Supplier set at 10%/$20 tolerance allowed.
  2. Company set at No to Automatic Matching at Arrival.
  3. Company set at Automatic Authorization.
  4. Company set at Match All for both parameters.
  5. PO created for 1 part at $50 including tax.
  6. Receipt completed.
  7. Invoice entered for $51 including tax.
  8. Automatically authorize once balanced since within tolerance.

The issue I am running into is it is not taking the tolerance into account.  Even only being off $1, it is still requiring manual authorization.  It seems there are several different settings across several different screens that can manipulate this in different ways...just can’t find the right combination.

Any help or documentation appreciated!!!

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

Check the PO line. Is this for an inventory part? Is that part average costed with invoice consideration set to transaction based?   

If so, as a test, turn off the invoice consideration.   

Last time I spoke with R&D, it was the “opinion” that the tolerance had to be approved.    I had a different opinion. 

Another way to test is use a No Part PO and do same.   It should automatically approve the tolerance, from what I see / a quick review.  The tolerance amount is less than the lower of 10% / $20.   It will work.  - Just not necessarily in all cases for an inventory part.  

Best regards, 

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

This is for a non-inventory purchase part.  Invoice consideration is not used.  Even in balance, requiring invoice authorization.

It appears to me that invoice authorization and tolerances are not related.  It appears that invoice authorization is either an all or nothing setup, which seems really inefficient to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi,

I have a meeting to needing prep. I’ll look at this later today. 

I can assure you, because I tested probably 100 times in various versions, that If you have a 100 PO and a 101 invoice (assuming tolerance) it will automatically authorize.  

Per your comment 

1. Automatically authorize once balanced since within tolerance.

Please explain the comment above- 

In a typical example Po receipt value is 100.  Invoice entered is 101. The system would normally / typically manage the 1 and automatically authorize (assuming all is set accordingly). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

OK - I set all up new.  - PO was for 100 invoice was 105.   At invoice entry / save.  I get the following

This was automatically authorized.  

Points to verify - Company - Invoice information. Make sure posting authorization is set as automatic. 

Then the supplier - Male certain the supplier is set to allow tolerance. And that either from the company or the supplier you have tolerance values.  

If still not working - send sample images of the same data I show. 

Also, do you have authorization rules set up and will they be assigned to the posting proposal? If you don’t have authorization rules, you will have nothing to automatically authorize. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sample Authorization rule - For testing only. 

The following rule is triggered always because it’s the only rule I have and it’s applied regardless of supplier / code string / other.  In other words, it does not omit anything, and it’s active. 

That rule was applied to the purchase line 100 and my tolerance line 5. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

I should also have specified, currently we are doing PO Line matching.  I am also testing moving to Receipt matching as part of this process. 

I will get in this afternoon and compare and test.  Thanks for the excellent responses and information!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

I was able to get automatic approval when accept quantity is selected. 

Example PO 100, supplier invoice line is entered as 105 with the part number (PO line number).

Same example but invoice line was 150 (higher than tolerance) - no automated approval.   

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

i just cannot seem to get my process to match yours.  I think I have everything set to exactly the way you do, but not processing the same way.

Company Settings
Supplier settings

Matched lines.  Total was about $3 variance so should automatically authorize but still requiring an authorization.