Override Default Tax Lines Expense Sheets

• 1 November 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6
  • Do Gooder (Customer)
  • 13 replies

Hi peoples

I am doing the set up for expense sheets and looking at setting up default tax lines for the expense codes. My question is can these defaults be overridden? For example a taxi fare in Australia will have 10% GST however taxi fare outside Australia won’t have GST. If I create default tax line all taxi fares will have the 10% GST how do I override this. I am on IFS Aurena

Thanks

GT

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

When submitting the expense you can change the tax amount.

However, this will still use the same default tax code, we can’t change the tax code used. If preferred, multiple expense codes can be created to split out the domestic and international expenses. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Thanks Ieva. Would it be possible to do a mod to create some logic based on the country where the transaction occurred. For example, if country code = AU, then use default tax line GST, if country code <> AU then then use default tax line Non-GST

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

That’s certainly possible, yes. The way you describe it, this would need to be a modification.

There can be another option if you created these additional expense codes (per tax code), then even with entering everything as domestic, you could use configurations (i.e. custom events) for IFS to automatically pick the correct expense codes without a modification, based on the country. The user would still see all the codes, however.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi Ieva

In the tax control set up for Max Overwriting Level on Tax we have these values:

In Percent: 1.00

In Acc Curr: 100.00

I assume these max overwrite amounts apply to supplier invoices and expense sheets? We need a higher max overwrite amount for expense sheets than for invoices. Is that possible?

Cheers

GT

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi,

Correct - the settings on the company level for max overwrite amounts and/or percentages apply for both invoices and expenses. Could you explore using the percentage rather than fixed amounts to meet your requirements?

Also - what is the cause for large differences for invoice tax overrides, could you set up additional tax codes to reduce the need to overwrite larger tax amounts on invoices?

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Thanks Ieva

Not sure why max overwrite amounts were set to 1% and $100. I was thinking about using a 10% max overwrite for expense sheets but a smaller amount for supplier invoices so our AP staff don’t accidently get the GST incorrect when processing invoice

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

IFS uses the lowest of fixed amount or percentage for the override. So maybe 10% with a limit of e.g. 50 would work for both? I am assuming the invoices will be higher value than expenses.

If that doesn’t work, you could add an additional validation through a custom event for invoices specifically to have a lover value validation than expenses if that is necessary.

Badge +4

On this point, we’ve seen the transactions posted to GL with the VAT even though the expense has been overridden to zero.

Is there a setting for this or is this a bug?