Question

Negative ETC in Forecast

• 13 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Good afternoon,

When I created my last forecast, the system created negative ETC and spread the negative value in the forecast spread.

I have checked each negative ETC, and it appears that the system is adjusting the forecast when a cost has incurred and has become actual cost but has not been budgeted.

The system seems to assume we have posted too much costs and adjust the forecast by reversing the cost overspent.

Would you know how to fix this issue so we can forecast the real costs without reversing the actual overspent cost?

Thank you.

Kind Regards
Claire

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Did you check the Snapshot matching values?

When it is set to ETC Recalculated ETC is adjusted. In your case, it should be EAC < Committed + Used Cost (overspent) so the ETC is adjusted to <0 value.

Badge +1

Thank you Buku, this makes sense. I will change the snapshot matching to EAC recalculated when I create my next forecast.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,

Claire

Badge +1

Hi Buku,

I recreated a new forecast in the migration environment, using my opening budget, I set the snapshot matching to EAC recalculated but the system still show negative ETC where the costs is over the budget. Would you know why and how we can show the overspent in the forecast instead of reducing the costs by having a negative ETC?

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards

Claire

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Claire,

This can’t be fixed with standard IFS… the vision of R&D at the time was that they will not change the total without manual entry by the user. This to prevent budgets to compound amount above their initial EAC. You could write an event (RMB/command button) to update all the negative amounts to 0. When I was testing for APPS10 I shared this with the Projects team to at least give the user the option to choose. If you think it is still a good idea you could raise an idea here and get it upvoted.

BR/Marten

Badge +1

Thank you very much Marten.

Best Regards,

Claire