Question

Moving GL account history

• 21 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

We would like to change some GL Account numbers for reporting purposes. Is there any way to move the historical data from one account to another? 

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hello Alex,

not aware of a standard-way in the client to do so.

Only way I could imagine is via sql-script.
But I would not recommend that.

When it’s only reporting purposes, what about using attributes to give them a new “number” ? 

Kind regards

Alex

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Alex Ivkovic ,

I haven’t come across such option in the application.

I don’t think it’s possible or even ethical to do so.

For example, let’s think old Account is ”1000” and the new account is “2000”.

Since all the transactions of the previous Account ”1000” are already booked and time stamped. It’s not correct in terms of accounting.

Assume you had the option to move historical data and if you change or move all the transactions from Account “1000” to “2000”, all the previously recorded transactions would reflect a wrong image of the previous periods or years.

However, you will be able to do it via a data repair and change the account number. But I won’t recommend it.

If you are not using the previous account anymore, I could suggest you a solution. Where you can transfer the balance amount using a Manual voucher with a text in the “Text” column in the voucher entry window that the amount is transferred from Account “1000” with a specific reason. So, in future if someone check the transactions, they know the reason and also where to find the past transactions.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Peshala

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

It’s really a code string issue

So

Account 5001-70-30  account, business unit, department is one thing

Account 5001-60-30 is something else so the description of the account makes no sense

Would like to move 5001-60-30 to 5002-60-30 if that makes sense.

Problem is we would lose the history 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Coming back to my question, is it a reporting issue or a process-issue?

If it’s a reporting-issue, I could also imagine that you create a code-part-attribute “New GL-account” and give the account 5001-60-30 the attribute with the value 5002-60-30.

If it’s more kind of a process-issue, then the question is, is the whole balance or only a part concerned and is it enough to transfer it for example on the 01.01.2022 or is needed to be transferred also in the past? 

Kind regards
Alex