Question

Moving and Correcting Cash Account balances

• 23 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

When a Business moves from another ERP system to IFS or IFS older version to a new one, what are the mechanisms to move cash balances to the new system?

Further, if already moved cash balances (under any mechanism) have any issues, how can those be corrected subsequently using themix payment window?

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Look at manual vouchers, we’ve always done this task via a manual voucher to set the opening balance for each of the various accounts.  I don’t think we’ve ever used the mixed payment for any purpose related to opening balances or correcting them later.  Vouchers only.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hello @Sandamini Wijeratne 

To upload opening balances to GL accounts Q vouchers are used.

Using mixed payment window to upload cash balances is not appropriate.

I hope using manual cash balance or a similar window would be appropriate..

Thank you,

Dhananga

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi

Using a Q voucher will only affect the GL, not the cash book balance. 

For each sub-ledger ‘Control Account’ such as AP, AR, Cash and Stock I normally create a temporary ‘offset GL account’ to handle the double entry at go-live. 

For example your Cash Account has a 100 balance.  So you need to create a mixed payment with a single ‘Direct Cash Transaction’ to your Cash ‘Offset Account’.  This will Debit the PP1 Cash Account and Credit the Offset account. 

When you migrate your historic GL Balance, you will find you now have 200 debit to your PP1 GL account. 

So you need to do a final ‘clear down’ Q Voucher to Credit the PP1 Cash Account and Debit the offset account.

The offset account balance will now be zero and the Cash Account Balance in both the GL and the Cash Book will be 100.

I know this method requires additional steps to those above, but is the only way to create matching GL and Cash Book Balances that I am aware of. 

Regards

Barrie

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

As per my understanding, there is no need to perform any additional step in migration. You need just one (or more) control accounts for various migration parts (various ledgers migrated). 

e.g.

• Fixed assets are migrated usually using Import Object function. FAP2 and FAP4 rules should be set to control account(s) corresponding to acquisition and accumulated balances migration
  • AP and AR (supplier and customer ledger) aremigrated usually using external supplier invoices. You can migrate open items only (payable part, ignoring VAT and WHT taxes) or make it more complex, including VAT and WHT taxes due. In both cases, AP control account should be used as invoice posting. 
  • Inventory - balance - migrated usually by manual receipt function, posted on control account (opposite to M1 posting)
  • Cash accounts and supplier payments on account - using mixed payments, where direct Cash lines are used to create postings opposite to migrated accounts.

Finally, when you book remaining part of trial balance migrated using manual voucher (usually M,  if control accounts are marked as non-ledger, there is no ledger account in this voucher, as you are booking control accounts instead original ledger accounts migrated elsewhere), control accounts are closed - by definition…

Q vouchers can be useful in specific cases only (e.g. in case of Revenue Recognition initialization), but they should be avoided in general.