Question

Migrate Accounting Structure from test-to-prod (Apps10)?

• 11 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hello...is there an easy way to migrate the “Accounting Structure” hierarchy across environments?  I asked the finance guys to do the setup in TEST environment and once finalized, then we can move it into PROD - but how???  This is a multi-level hierarchy so I don’t think a simple COPY/PASTE Object will do the trick.  Do I need to tell them it needs to be manually duplicated into PROD?  Or maybe we should just use Code Part Attributes and Attribute Connections (seems like it does the same thing anyway).  Thoughts???

(It looks like the COPY feature works across companies in the same environment...so that is something!)

Tom Bowe

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Yeah, there is no easy way to do this….we run into the same thing with every new company we setup.  Build it in TEST, then build it again in PROD.  You can use Copy and Paste Object to go from one to the other, which is how we do it, but you are correct in your estimation, you can’t do multiple levels and dependencies.  So it doesn’t take too long for the Code Part Values themselves.  But when you get to Posting Controls and Details you have to work from the top down and it is difficult to keep them all straight.  Requires someone who is methodical and detail orientated, no magic that can help really.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Accounting structure consist of 3 detailed tables: level definition, structure header, and structure item. You can use external files utility or data migration job to create load, and sql select to extract same data from test database.  It is not a rocket science, but requires some SQL knowledge indeed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Like @Adam Bereda  has suggested, I have used migration jobs to move Accounting Structure from on DB to another. It is a little bit trick due to the multi-level structure and I had to run the Structure Item migration job multiple times to get the whole structure in. Also, on top of this I have created a replication migration job such that if a change to the parent company’s accounting structure is made, it replicates to the other 37 companies.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@malik.sally  can you provide me with list  of  tables that you have used for Migration job. I need to identify the tables where Accounting  structure information is stored. 

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Avinash

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi,

If you create structure header manually, accounting_structure_item and accounting_structure_level remains for migration. Otherwise, you should migrate accounting_structure 

Order of migration is of course header then levels then items.

Hope it helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
  1. ACCOUNTING_STRUCTURE_API.RE_OPEN__ to reopen any structures that are already in the system and that needs editing.
  2. ACCOUNTING_STRUCTURE - Header
  3. ACCOUNTING_STRUCTURE_ITEM
  4. ACCOUNTING_STRUCTURE_LEVEL
  5. ACCOUNTING_STRUCTURE_API.Activate__ to Activate the structures.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @malik.sally 
Thanks for your help :) 

Regards

Avinash