Question

how to update Supplier and Customer (Party) group descriptions

• 22 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

We have ~1300 invoice_party_type_group records that are not EMP or EXT group_id’s and need to prepend something to the beginning of each Description.  We tried updating the table but found out the UI description is actually coming from the key_lu_translation_tab.  

what is the simplest, quickest way we can update the current_translation field in the key_lu_translation_tab?

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Still wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi,

Send screen print of what you want changed. It sounds like you want supplier group / customer group changed. 

Assuming this is apps 10 and assuming that’s what you want changed, and assuming the basic data already exists, I would create a new external file type.   The external file Types screen has an option to create a new file type and template from a view. IFS will then create a utility that will allow import, export and edit.  I would typically alter the template to fit my needs (change date format, separator, add a skip function in template control to skip a header record and other. Export the data, edit, then import back in. 

If your in a newer IFS release you can create a migration job. 

Typically,  I (we) would never suggest a table update, always use the IFS logic, and both external files and migration job use IFS business logic. 

Best regards, 

Thomas

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi,  

I’ve attached an example of supplier groups.  We have the same supplier groups in several companies.  

We need to prepend INTERCO - to the beginning of each description that is not Ext or Emp.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

Very helpful.   

See screen prints.   

Then OK. 
Then Go to the Template and make user friendly.

I did not see if your data has comma, it it does then a comma separator may cause issues. 

I use this to create a skip record so my data source can have header record and IFS will skip that. 

The process would be to run the external file assistant for that new file type - exporting the relevant data.  Edit, then again use external file assistant with the new file type to import the revised data. 

Browse to the file and select next. 

Because this is an output - parm 2, IFS allows you to filter the output to select only certain records. 

The community has many postings on external files.  This is just an overview. 

I have done hundreds of external files after you do it a few times, it may take 1 minute to create a new file type and template.