Question

How to Modify Logic for Message Code on External File Template for MT940

• 26 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi,

Currently, after importing the MT940 file in IFS v8, the system reads the 3 characters from line :86 to the left of “:” and places those characters on the Message code column. What is required is to assign the 3 characters to the left of “//” from line :61 to the message code.

To correct the mapping of the message code from our MT940 file, we copied the system defined MT940 template.

Your guidance/ instructions are required on how to populate the Detail Functions column for MESSAGE_CODE. We want to tell the system where to get the message code from our MT940 file >> 3 characters to the left of “//” from line :61. 

We think IFS has a language used in the Detail Functions Column. Please refer attached document for more illustrations.

Best Regards,

Rasangi 

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @Rasangi Tilakaratne,

could you please send us a current settings for the Message code column ?

Best regards,

Małgorzata

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Rasangi Tilakaratne 

The MT940 file contains one or more payment transaction types:

*Customer Payment

*Supplier Payment

*Direct Cash Payment (direct GL posting, no AR or AP ledger payment)

Payment transaction in MT940 file determined by payment transaction code in the payment transaction line (:61: line with N-prefix)

MT940 File structure

• :25:517057263                                                                     :25: bank account number of the payee
  • :60F:C100609EUR1020690,26                                            :60F: statement  date + opening bal.
  • :61:1006100610C876774,30N196NONREF                     :61: transaction date + amount + transaction type (NXXX)
  • :86: 50.61.91.745 NYRSTAR BUDEL BV                           :86: bank account # payer + payment references

MT940 process steps

Step 1: Import MT940 file

During import:

*Automatic match of customer payments

*Direct cash payment created

*Load ID will be created

Step 2: Verify load id.

Step 3: Create Mixed Payment from the load id.

Step 4: Adjust Mixed Payment payment transactions

* Correct or add payment transactions

Step 5: Approve  Mixed Payment

Result:

*Update ledger AR / AP

*Update GL direct cash payments

MT940 basic data setup

*Payment format message codes: Predefined per MT940 file format or bank specific in the “Payment format window > RMB on the Payment format line and select Message codes”

* External payment parameters: “External Payment parameters window > Message codes >”

- Series id. / length of matching keys

- bank account numbers. and invoice numbers

* Set Customer bank account number in the “Payment > Payment methods tab in the customer window”

Hope this would help you to some extent to follow up the logic behind 25,  60F, 61 and 86 codes and the Process of the MT 940.

Best Regards,

Peshala

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Thanks Peshala for the tips.However, you did not answer my question. The issue with IFS Apps 8
is that when you import the MT940 file into IFS, the message code is mapped to line :86 NOT line :61. This means that the system defined template MXP_MT940DE is mapping the message code to line :86. To change the mapping, I assume that I have to create my version of MT940 by copying template MXP_MT940DE and define the detail function(s) for message code.
My question: Given the copied template, how do I define the functions under “Detail Functions” colum on the External File Template screen to instruct IFS to map the message code to the 3 characters to the left of '/' from line :61? From the sample line :61 of our MT940 file below, IFS should map the message code to CMZ.
:61:2112031203C1436391,NCMZ//0044010780XF 

Below is the External File Template screen for my verstion of MT940  template. The small pop-up screen is my attempt to define the functions on how to retrieve the mesage code from line :61 but since I do not understand the language used by IFS in this screen, I am reaching out to the IFS community for help. Hope this clears up my question. Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @tnamarcela,

descriptions of External Functions you can find in the online documentation.

When you login to APP please use F1 button.

In the Online Documentation choose Technical Doc. Then, search External Files Function Details and choose External Files Interface option.

There you can find the External Files Function Details part.

In the attachment you can find screenshots, I hope it will be helpul.

Best regards,
Małgorzata

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Thank you so much Malgorzata for this information. This is a good start for me.