Question

Handling standing order transactions within IFS

• 3 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Does anyone have any tips on how they handle standing orders (Fixed monthly payments leaving the bank) within IFS.

We have quite a few, and currently are uploading the bank statement, then creating single mixed payments for each item. Its a long winded process.

Is there a way I could pre-load these items?

Am thinking external file load into the mixed payments screen but not entirely sure how to achieve.

Thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi Bruce,

You can try to use Recurring Supplier Payment functionality, if you like to book an entry for sub-ledger. It is mandatory to use a supplier for recurring supplier payment flow. In your real scenario, if you don't make the standing transaction for suppliers, you have to create a dummy supplier. 

Process:

1. Go to recurring supplier payment window and create a new record. You have to select a payment method (Not CHECK payment) although we are not going to send a payment instruction to bank (in your case).
  2. Go to details and add all the standing instructions with correct payment dates and approve each installments.
  3. Now, each month end or expected date, you can run a supplier payment proposal including options, Include Recurring Payments. 
  4. Once the payment order is created, go to Mixed Payment and select the transaction type Acknowledge Supplier Payment Order. Now you can select your recurring order ID for the particular month. 

It is important to note that in this case, there will be a Payment on Account (PP7 posting) in addition to the cash posting. This will be a AP ledger entry which you have to map correctly for your purpose.

If this doesn't work for you, it is possible to load an external payment file each month and create mixed payment directly with required manual postings. If you want to post transactions to different manual accounts automatically, that is also possible. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

This is great info thanks! I assume I also need to post an invoice (with VAT), for the entire instalment plan.

Or would you normally use a recurring invoice? (Not sure if they exist in IFS)

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

If I understand it well, Supplier Recurring Payments functionality results in supplier payments on account. Once invoice is received for that payment, it can be offset with payment on account.