Skip to main content

Hi All,

One of our customers is generating General ledger report with counter accounts and there are some vouchers with blank counter accounts. For example, vouchers with voucher type Q - Opening balance and H - Currency Revaluation. 

Is there any functional document to refer how the counter account is generating?

Thank you!

For the report GL Account with counter account it is simply very often not possible to identify a counteraccount. Lets take a customer invoice with 2 revenue lines. From the AR account perspective you have 3 counter accounts 1. VAT, 2. Renevue Line 1, 3. Revenue Line 2. So in cases where the system cannot identify exactly 1 counteraccount it just shows * (which means multiple accounts).

For your Q- or M- Vouchers where the total balance is always zero and no direct connection between the accounts exist, it is also simply not possible to identify a counteraccount. You can use the function Validate Row Group ID to create a “connection”. In cases where repost from account to another this might help to have counteraccount in the report.

In real live e.g. for payroll vouchers the counter account is very often a transfer account - which is finally meaningless as counteraccount information, because it is used for each and every posting line, no matter if a debit or a credit.
As you might read through my lines in my opinion this report must have obvious logical limitations that cannot be fixed (not only in IFS Cloud, but also in other finance systems).
If you want to see the whole picture of posting you need to have a look at the complete voucher in most of the cases.

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I now understand that the logic behind this report is defined based on the voucher types and transaction codes. Your explanation has clarified things and it makes more sense now.

Thanks!